Saturday, July 27, 2019

FLOWER MAGIC



I walked into the house and saw my son Alex sitting on the couch. “Hey!” I called as I headed right to the kitchen. I grabbed a glass and filled it with water before heading back out the front door. “Did you see my Gerber daisy?” I said as I passed him again.
“No.”
“Look out the front window.” I said as I went out and began slowly pouring the water on it. When my glass was empty I came back in. “When I left an hour ago that poor little flower was fine.” I went into the kitchen to put the glass in the dishwasher. I walked back in the living room where Alex was looking out the window. “I think you're too late.” he said, then turned around and put his feet up on the coffee table. “It sure looks dead to me.”
“Nope, it's this heat wave. In about twenty minutes you'll see it pop right back up.” I sat down putting my feet up on the coffee table too. “I want you to remember that when I go to visit Aunt Lizzy.”
Alex looked confused. “Why do I need to remember that?”
“Because I'm putting you in charge of watering the plants.” I looked over and smiled at him. “I'm going to be gone for a week so I'd like you to feed the fish and water my plants please.”
Alex sighed. “Okay, how often do I water them?”
“Well, that depends on the weather. If it's a heat wave like this it could be twice a day.”
“Wait, what?” Alex shook his head. “I'm never going to remember that!”
“That's why I'm showing you the Gerber daisy now.” I turned around to peek out the window. “Nope, still a little droopy.” I turned back to face him. “I don't want you to make the mistake of thinking they're too far gone and throw them away.”
Alex smiled. “Yeah, but at least it would have been one less plant to water.”
“Hey!” I tossed a pillow over at him. “That's not funny.” I laughed. “I've been checking on the geraniums on the back porch but they're a little more forgiving. Just check the dirt and make sure it's moist.” I got up. “Here let me show you.” I walked back to the kitchen and Alex followed me. I stood at the window. “See the Peace plant on the table?”
“That table?” He was pointing to the bistro table.
“No, that's a Hens & Chicks, it's a succulent. You're not going to have to worry about that one. It gets watered maybe once a week.”
Alex nodded his head. “Okay, so I'm ignoring that one, got it.”
I pointed to the table next to my rocking chair. “That's the Peace plant. That's going to droop just like the Gerber daisy in front. As soon as you see that you water it immediately.” I looked back at him. “And don't forget my basil and mint plants.”

Alex looked at me. “You do know the only plant I've ever owned was a succulent and it died.”
I stared at him, until he shrugged his shoulders and said. “I'm just letting you know.”

No comments:

Post a Comment