Friday, August 2, 2019

CHIPMUNK CALAMITY



My son Alex and I were sitting on our newly power washed and stained deck. “I know we have to clean and re-stain the deck every few years, but I really hate it.” I sighed as I gently rocked back in my rocker.
“Why?” Alex looked confused. “It looks great!”
“I know but remember earlier in the summer when we were out here watching the chipmunks scamper all over the yard then dart under the deck? I'm pretty sure they'd made a burrow under there.” I looked around the yard. “I don't know if you've noticed but they've all left.”
Alex looked around the yard. Then got up to look over the railing of the deck. “You know, you're right. I don't see any of their holes.” He went back and sat. “That's too bad. They were fun to watch.”
I leaned back further in my chair. “Remember the three that used to chase each other all over the yard? Oh my gosh, they were so cute!” I pointed to a spot next to the bird feeder. “One was trying to get some seeds off the ground next to a mourning dove. That's when we saw the mourning doves do that weird move where he held up one wing. Then we found our that what they do when they think someones in their territory.” I started to laugh. “He looked like he was dabbing!”
Alex started to laugh. “Yeah, but the chipmunk wasn't very intimadatied! He just ran over the bird's back!”
“I'm pretty sure no one's taking the mourning doves too seriously with that move!”
That's when my husband Steven came out on the deck. “What are you guys laughing about?” he asked as he sat down next to me in his Adirondack chair.
“I was just telling Alex how sad I am that the chipmunk family that lived under our deck had to leave because we were mean and power washed and stained their roof.”
Steven looked confused. “So you were showing your sadness by laughing?”
“No.” Alex said. “We were talking about all the funny things they'd been doing earlier in the summer.”
Steven looked around the deck. “Hey, I'm sorry about that but we can't let the deck go untreated for too long.” He looked around the yard. “Besides I'm sure they'll be back.”
I looked over at Alex. “I don't know, what do you think Alex? First the power washing must have felt like they were going through a hurricane, then big blobs of stinky stuff comes dripping through the cracks and into they're burrow while we roll on the stain and to top it all off it's a sticky mess for days until it dries.” I looked over at Steven. “Would you come back?”
Steven shrugged his shoulders. “Hey, I don't want them up on the deck anyway. Chipmunks can do a lot of damage.” he got up and began to walk in the house. “I'm getting a bottle of water, anyone else want one?”
“I'm good.” I said.
“Me too.” Alex added.
“By the way, the deck looks great!” I called to him as he went inside.
Once he closed the door I turned to Alex and whispered. “Still wish we didn't have to do it.” I sighed as I looked around our chipmunk-less yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment