Friday, August 31, 2018

POOL PARTY



It was early Saturday morning and while I was having my morning tea on our deck I could see that our backyard neighbors were getting ready for a party. Tents were being set up, balloons were being tied to the deck, table and chairs were being put into place and someone was doing a last minute skim of the pool. They had a beautiful day for their event and I was happy for them.
Later that afternoon I went back out on my deck and could hear they'd hired a singer. He played an acoustic guitar and sang songs from the Doors, Eagles and Beatles, all of the music I liked to listen to.
I stuck my head back inside the house. “Hey, Alex!” I called to my son. “The back neighbors are having a party and they hired a really good singer! Do you want to come hang out on the porch and listen with me?”
Alex came out carrying a bottle of water. He stopped and listened for a moment. “He is pretty good.” He admitted as he sat down in the chair next to me and we quietly listened to, 'Come On Baby Light My Fire'.
At the end of the song, the guests began cheering. “I feel like I want to call up some friends and invite them over to have our own party right here!”
“Well, you'd certainly save money on the entertainment.”
I looked over and smiled. “Exactly what I was thinking!” It was at that moment a neighbor a few doors down, turned on his riding lawn mower and began revving the engine. I looked over at Alex. “Well, that's not good.”
“WHAT?” Alex called, making a point of letting me know how loud the mower was.
“They must hear that a party's going on.” The mower had drowned out our ability to hear the music.
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “It's Saturday afternoon. People are allowed to mow their lawn.”
“I know but it's a matter of neighbor etiquette.” I countered. “They can hear that a neighbor's having a party. If it were me I wouldn't mow my lawn today.”
Alex laughed. “You've never mowed the lawn.”
Now I had to laugh. “That's true, but it's not my point!”
“Well, maybe the person on the lawnmower isn't a fan of that kind of music.” Alex took a sip of water.
“Still not being a good neighbor.” I sighed.
“You're just mad that you can't sit out here and hear free party music.” Alex laughed.
The neighbor's lawnmower stopped for a moment and the people at the party began cheering. “See, they know he was being rude and they're thanking him for stopping.”
Alex looked over at me, a confused look on his face. “How do you know they're cheering for that? Maybe their musician just finished a song and they're cheering that.”
“Because that's a part of neighbor manners. When someone stops their annoying behavior you show your appreciation!”
Alex started laughing. “That's not a thing!” he cried.
I shrugged my shoulder. “Well I think it should be.”
That's when the neighbor's mower started again. I looked over at Alex and rolled my eyes as I got up to go inside. “It was nice while it lasted.” I sighed.
“Look on the bright side.” Alex said as he got up with me. “At least you didn't call anyone to come over and eavesdrop on their party with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment