Friday, August 17, 2018

KUDZU AND KINDNESS



My sister just moved to North Carolina and I'd come home from visiting her new house.
As I rolled my suitcase into the front door my husband Steven was there to greet me.
“So how was your trip?” he asked as he took my suitcase from me and brought it into the living room.
“Really nice!” I flopped down on the couch, putting my feet up on the coffee table. “I'm a little tired.” I looked over at him and smiled. “Remind me next time NOT to take the 6 AM flight out. I'm not a big fan of getting up at 3:30 in the morning.” I tried to hold back a yawn.
“Well, other then being tired, how was the rest of your trip?” Steven asked as he went into the kitchen and brought me back a bottle of water.
“Liz's house is beautiful. She's still putting on finishing touches, but she's loving it there!”
I took a sip of water. “When we were driving into her development I couldn't believe the amount of kudzu. It was like a blanket of green covering everything in it's path.”
“Oh, yeah. I remember that when we were down there visiting my sister, a few years ago.” Steven handed me a pillow.
I tucked it behind my head. “I know it's an invasive weed but it really is kind of fascinating watching how it just climbs over everything.”
Steven just laughed. “Only you'd find a weed fascinating.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “I really do like it but I think I might have annoyed Liz because whenever we went out I became the kudzu spotter. Liz could be in the middle of a sentence and I'd be shouting KUDZU!”
“That does sound a little annoying.” Steven agreed.
“Well, the other thing I noticed was how kind and sweet everyone was.” I took another sip of water. “Wherever we went grocery store, garden center, or a restaurant everyone wanted to know how our day was.” I looked over at Steven. “They actually wanted to know how our day was going Steven! How often do you hear that around here?”
Steven shrugged his shoulders. “Every once in a while someone asks.”
“Not very often! Down there they ask all the time!”
Steven nodded in agreement.
“There was a woman at the counter of a convenience store that had a really pretty jacket on.” I moved the pillow so I could lay down on the couch. “Liz and I ended up walking out the door with her.” I reached over the back of the couch and grabbed the afghan that was folded there and pulled it over me. “ I told her how much I liked her jacket and do you know what she said?” I stifled another yawn.
“No, what?”
“She gave me a great big smile and told me about the trip she'd taken where she'd gotten the jacket.” I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. “I felt like I'd just made a new friend in the two minute walk to our car.” I couldn't help but smile. “That's what I took away from my trip to North Carolina.” I yawned. “Kudzu and kindness.”
Steven came over and adjusted the blanket over me. “That's nice.”
“It was nice.” I sighed closing my eyes.
“Maybe you could tell me about the rest of your trip after you wake up.” He suggested as he kissed the top of my head.
“Ah, bless your heart.” I said in my own unique Southern drawl before closing my eyes again.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, "bless X's heart" is a Southern way of calling X stupid (in the sweetest way possible).

    "What "Bless Your Heart" Really Means":
    https://youtu.be/w4nRIw_ATJA

    ReplyDelete