Wednesday, August 8, 2018

ROGUE RECYCLERS



My son Alex and I were driving into our neighborhood when I noticed all the blue garbage cans lining the curb. “We have to remember to put the recycling out tonight.” I looked over at Alex. “Ours are overflowing!”
We drove past a middle-aged woman walking down her driveway clutching a small blue container to her chest. “Oh, come on!” I looked over at Alex again. “She can't be serious!”
“What are you talking about?” Alex looked over his shoulder while I watched in my side mirror as she gently set the small box down at the curb.
“She's pretending to recycle!” I cried. “The recycling truck comes around every two weeks! There's no way she has that little to bring out!”
Alex just shook his head. “Maybe she lives all alone and doesn't have much to bring out.”
I shook my head. “She doesn't live alone. There's two cars in the driveway. There's at least one other person living there.” I looked over at Alex as he looked back at me with a surprised look on his face. I shrugged my shoulder. “What can I say? I notice things, okay?”
“Well, at least she's putting out something, so she's trying.” Alex reasoned.
“Ugh! She's not trying! She's pretending!” I pointed to another small container we were passing, “So is this one!” I leaned over to peek inside. “Come on, one half gallon of milk, two water bottles, a few newspapers and one detergent container.” I looked over at Alex. “It's like they're staging for a play!”
“Could we keep going?” Alex asked as he nervously looked at the house we stopped in front of. “I really don't want them seeing us going over their recycling.”
“Oh!” I stepped on the gas. “Sorry about that.” I began driving down the road again. “But I just get so annoyed that I spend so much time rinsing out containers. Disgusting containers I might add.” I looked over at Alex. “Do you know how gross it is finding a container of sour cream in the back of the fridge that was a month old? Do you know how badly I just want to throw it in the trash?” I shook my head. “But no...I scrape that moldy yucky stuff out then rinse it until it's spotless before I toss it in the recycling bin.”
We were pulling into our driveway as Alex patted me on the shoulder before opening his door. “Well you should feel good knowing you're doing the right thing.”
We both walked around to the back of the house and I pulled out the first blue container from where we keep our garbage. I tipped it on its wheels and pulled it out of the way so Alex could grab the other recycling pail. “I can't believe how heavy this one is.” I complained as I lifted the lid and peeked inside.
“Maybe it's all the wine bottles that's making it so heavy.” Alex laughed.
“Hey! We had company the other day!” I cried. “Don't judge!”
“Not judging.” Alex said as we walked the cans to the street. “But the recycling guys might.”
I pushed my can against the curb. “Maybe I should leave a note on top of the can that says all of the wine bottles are because we had company.”
Alex laughed as we walked back up the driveway. “I'm sure they'd love a note like that to hang in they're break room!”

1 comment:

  1. I slightly disagree with your assessment. If we didn't feed the stray cat population of WLB, we would have almost no recyclables on can/bottle day. I use soda stream to make seltzer, my daughter only drinks water, from the fridge, not plastic bottles , and alcohol is consumed every couple of years at best. Paper and cardboard is a whole different story

    ReplyDelete