Friday, January 10, 2020

WINTER WALKS



“How about today?” I asked my son Alex as I stood next to the window.
Alex came over next to me and looked outside. “Nope. Too windy.”
“Ah, man.” I sighed. “What's the criteria again for outdoor walking?”
Alex looked over at the outdoor thermometer. “It needs to be 42 degrees and above, which it is.” Then he looked out the window again. “But it also needs to be full sun and no wind.” He turned back and looked at me. “There's no sun today and it's windy.”
I sighed again.
“Hey, we made these rules up together!” Alex laughed. “It's not like you weren't with me when we made the mistake of walking when it's too cold out, the suns not shining, and there's even a little breeze.”
“I know, but I just hate the treadmill.” I didn't bother keeping the disappointment from my voice.
“It's not so bad, I use it all the time.” Alex patted me on the shoulder before I went over and plopped myself on the couch, putting my feet up on the coffee table.
“But there's nothing to look at when I'm on the treadmill.” I frowned. “I might as well be using a hamster wheel.”
Alex laughed again.
“Wait, I take that back.” I slid my feet off the coffee table and sat back up, holding my pointer finger in the air. “At least a hamster wheel would be more fun!” I then settled further into the couch and my bad mood.
“So you've decided you're not going to walk at all?” Alex leaned against the door frame.
I didn't answer for a moment but then got up and began doing leg stretches. “I didn't say that.” I looked over at him and smiled. “But, instead of the treadmill do you want to go walk the mall with me?”
“We're just walking it right?” Alex looked suspicious. “You're not going to be doing any shopping are you?” His eyes narrowed even further as he studied my face.
I shook my head. “Nope. No shopping.” I held my hand up to swear. “Promise.”
“Okay then, sure. I'll go with you.” We both headed to our rooms to get ready.
Once my sneakers and a light sweatshirt were on I went back out to the living room.
Alex looked at me. “You're not going to wear a coat?”
I grabbed my car keys off the counter. “I don't want to walk the mall wearing a coat.” I held up the keys. “I'll just run outside and warm up the car.” When I came back in I couldn't help but shiver as I pushed my hair away from my face. “You're right, it is too windy out to walk.”
Alex went over to get some water bottles. “Are you ready?”
I reached for my wallet inside my pocketbook and pulled out my credit card.
“What are you doing?” Alex asked.
“You know I don't like to carry my pocketbook when we walk the mall.” I dropped the wallet back into my purse. “I'm going to lock it in the trunk.”
“I know that.” he pointed to the credit card I was slipping into my back pocket. “I'm talking about that.” he looked suspicious again. “Why do you need a credit card?”
“Why does anyone need a credit card?” I said as I gave him a big smile.
Alex just shook his head and sighed as he headed for the front door. “Maybe we should make rules for indoor walking too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment