Friday, January 24, 2020

FLY SHOWDOWN



“I can't believe we're able to sit outside today.” I said as I turned my face up to the sun. “We were driving through a snowstorm the other day!”
My son Alex was leaned back in his Adirondack chair. “It's been pretty crazy weather.” Alex agreed. “Hey, look at this.”
I looked over at Alex who was pointing to a fly sitting on his leg. “It's January. Pretty weird seeing a fly this time of year.”
“Everything's confused.” I sighed. “I was driving the other day and saw a forsythia with a few blooms on it already.”
Alex shooed the fly from his leg but it just flew to another part of his pants. “This thing's the size of a small bird!” Alex shooed it again. It flew and landed on the arm of his chair. We watched as the fly slowly hopped around until it was facing him.
I laughed. “Looks like he's not done with you!”
We watched as the fly’s little legs danced back and forth on the arm of the chair, continuing to face toward Alex. “Well, this is creepy.”
“He looks like he's ready for a fight.” I laughed again.
Just then the fly took off heading straight for Alex's face.
“Whoa!” Alex laughed as it quickly landed on his face before he swatted it off. “I think I made him mad.”
I waved my hand around in case he decided to double back towards us again. “I'm sure they serve a purpose but I'm not a big fly fan seeing that they spend most of their time combing over garbage piles and landing on poop!”
“Oh, that's a nice thought.” Alex said as he brushed the shoulder of his sweatshirt against his face. “I just had his little garbage feet dancing on my face.”
“Well, now its got me interested.” I said as I picked up my phone and Googled 'Flies you see in the winter.' I scrolled through a few sites. “Okay, it says that it's probably a Cluster fly.”
“Well, that sounds disgusting.” Alex laughed.
“Wait!” I held up the phone. “Good news. Cluster fly’s are completely parasitic on earthworms!”
“What?” Alex looked confused. “How's that suppose to make me feel better?”
“They lay their eggs near earthworm's burrows and the larvae feed on the earthworms!”
Alex shook his head. “That doesn't answer what the adults eat.”
I scrolled further. “It says the adults eats nectar, plant sap and fruit.” I looked over at Alex. “See
it's all good.”
Alex looked around our stark yard. “Okay, where's the nectar, plant sap and fruit it's eating?”
I sighed. “Okay, I see your point. But in his defense he's really suppose to be hibernating right now.”
“Bloated garbage feet.” He wiped his face again.
“Ahh, you named him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment