Friday, January 17, 2020

REOCCURRING NIGHTMARE



I'd just gotten up and was headed to the kitchen when my husband Steven stopped me in the hallway.
“Morning.” he said giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. “How'd you sleep?”
I shook my head. “I had that same stupid nightmare again.” I sighed.
“Which one?” he looked concerned.
“The one where my only mode of transportation is an office chair.” I rubbed my eye with the back of my hand. “I swear this must be the fifth time I've been in the middle of a dream and I walk outside and there it is, sitting in our driveway, an ugly black office chair on wheels!” I tried to stifle a yawn. “I can't figure out why I keep having that chair pop up!”
Our son Alex came out of his room. “Morning!” he said as he headed towards the kitchen.
“You're not going to believe what had a cameo appearance in my dream last night.” I said as I followed him out to the kitchen.
“The office chair?”
That caught me by surprise. “Yeah! How did you know?” I got my tea kettle and went over to the sink to fill it with water.
Alex laughed. “I just heard you tell Dad.” He reached in the cabinet to get two mugs.
“Okay, that makes sense. ” I put the kettle on the stove and turned it on. “I remember the first time I had that dream.” I turned around and leaned against the counter. I looked over as Steven came into the kitchen. “I walk out of the house and there's the office chair sitting in the driveway where my car should have been. I was late for work so I felt like I had no other choice but use it. I was so embarrassed as I wheeled myself down the street. First I tried sitting forward, digging my heels in but I wasn't going very fast and I getting anxious because I was late. So, I turned my seat around and pushed with my legs as I looked over my shoulder to see where I was going.” I shook my head. “I remember sitting at a light watching the other people in cars just staring at me.” I gave a little snort. “At least now, when I see the office chair in my dreams, I hear myself saying, 'Seriously, not again!' and the dream usually ends.” I looked from Steven to Alex. “Why do you think I keep dreaming about that stupid chair?”
Steven shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. “I have no idea.”
Alex put the tea bags in the mugs and placed them by the kettle. “I know why you had it last night.”
I looked over at him. “Really? Why?”
“Don't you remember when we were out yesterday? We drove by an office chair, someone was throwing out. It was laying on it's side by the curb?” He leaned against the opposite counter from me. “You're always talking about those dreams so I said, 'Looks like someone got in an accident, hope no one got hurt.'”
“Oh yeah!” I laughed as I nodded my head. “You're right, that does explain it.” I felt better knowing what caused it. The kettle started to whistle so I turned off the stove. “But that still doesn't explain why I had the dream the first time.” I looked at Alex as he held up his hands and shook his head.
“Don't ask me, I have no idea!”
I looked over at Steven. “Nope, not a clue.”

No comments:

Post a Comment