Friday, September 27, 2019

PERFECT HARD BOILED EGG



“What do you feel like having for lunch?” I asked my son Alex as he sat on the couch reading a magazine.
He shrugged his shoulders. “Doesn't matter to me. Whatever you want.”
I leaned against the door frame and thought about it for a moment. “How about egg salad sandwiches?”
Alex looked up from his magazine. “Sure, that sounds great.”
“Perfect.” I smiled at him. “Could you make a half dozen hard boiled eggs for me?”
“Sure.” He put his magazine down. “I can do that.” He got up and walked past me into the kitchen.
I followed him and leaned against the counter as he took the eggs out of the refrigerator. “You know you make a better hard boiled egg than I do.” I felt I needed to explain.
Alex just nodded as he took out a pot and put the eggs into it.
“When I make them I can never get them to peel without taking half the egg with it.” I sighed.
Alex reached into the cabinet and pulled down a bowl. “That's because you skip the ice water part.”
“I use the same pot the eggs boiled in, dump the boiling water out, and add cold water.” I shrugged my shoulders. “Same thing.”
Alex shook his head. “No it's not. The pot's still hot and cold water isn't the same as ice water.”
I sighed. “Yeah, but...”
Alex started to laugh as he went over to the sink and filled the pot with water. “You just don't feel like making hard boiled eggs right now. I get it.”
I sighed again. “It's just that I have four more loads of wash to do and I still have to get set up for work next week.”
Alex set the pot on the stove and turned it on. “Don't worry about it. I've got this.”
“Thank you.” I leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “You're the best.”
My husband Steven walked into the kitchen. “What is he the best at?” he asked.
“Making us lunch!” I quickly answered.
Alex looked at me. “I thought I was just making the hard boiled eggs?”
I just smiled at him.
“You could have just asked me to make lunch. I really wouldn't have minded.” He laughed and shook his head.
“I swear, it really did start out with you being better at making hard boiled eggs.” I shrugged my shoulders. “Than it just sort of evolved into you making lunch.”
Alex took out another bowl to make the egg salad in. “What kind of bread do you want?”
“I'll have mine on a toasted English muffin with a slice of yellow American, please!”
“That sounds good, but skip the cheese on mine and I'll have a slice of tomato instead.” Steven added.
Alex went to the cabinet to get the package of English muffins.
“You're the best!” I called as I headed to the laundry room to put another load in the washer while I thought of other chores I could delegate to someone else this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment