Friday, September 13, 2019

CRICKETS AND KATYDIDS



I was in the kitchen, finishing up with the after-dinner dishes, when my husband Steven and son Alex came through, headed for the back deck.
“It's a beautiful night out.” Steven said as he opened the back door. “You want to come out and sit with us for awhile?”
“Sure.” I picked up the pot I'd just washed and began to dry it. “Just let me put this away and I'll be right out.”
A few moments later I looked out the kitchen window and saw both my guys watching one of our hummingbirds at its feeder. I had to smile knowing that as soon as I got outside one of them would sadly say I'd just missed his visit.
I made one more quick scan of the room, making sure everything was done before I opened the back door.
“You just missed the hummingbird.” Alex said pointing to the feeder.
I smiled. “I was lucky! I saw him out the window when I was checking on the two of you.” I sat down in my rocking chair but after a few minutes I began to shiver. “It's cold out here.” I gave my arms a quick rub. “I'm going inside to grab a sweatshirt.”
I came back out appropriately bundled up. “That's better.” I sat back down again.
We sat quietly listening to the sounds of our back yard. The chirp and squeak of the hummingbirds as they let us know they were coming in for a drink. The blue jays squawking, alerting the other birds that a cooper hawk was close by. The sound of the squirrels as their little claws dug into the bark of the trees as they chased each other around. But, the most significant sound I'd been enjoying all summer long, the deafening song of the cicada, was completely silent. “No more cicadas.” I sighed.
“Nope, now it's the cricket's and katydid's turn.” Alex said.

“I know.” I sighed. “But cicadas mean summer and crickets and katydids mean fall.”
“It's not officially fall for another week.” Alex reminded me.
“I know but the evenings are getting chilly.” I sighed.
“It's going up in the high 70's next week.” Steven said.
“I know but...”
“Oh come on!” Alex cried. “It's still summer!”
I pulled my hands up in the sleeves of my sweatshirt to keep them warm. “I'm cold.” I pouted.
Alex and Steven groaned in unison.
It was then, in the distance, I could hear a cicada begin it's long shrill song. I sat up and smiled. “They're still out there!”
“One lone one left.” Steven said.
“Maybe not.” I countered waiting to hear someone answer the call.
A few minutes later Steven looked over at me. “I think that cicada might be a little late to the party.”
I sighed as I sat back in my chair. “I guess it's the crickets and katydids time to party.”
Alex leaned closer to me. “It's still summer for a few more days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment