Friday, September 6, 2019

BETTA BUBBA



I was washing a ping pong ball in the sink when my husband Steven came into the kitchen.
“What's that for?” he asked looking at the ball as I grabbed a paper towel and began drying it.
“It's a toy for Bubba.” I looked over at the fish tank where our beautiful blue betta fish was
looking over at us. “See!” I held up the ping pong ball for Bubba to see. “He's excited about his new toy!”
Steven shook his head. “What's a fish going to do with a ping pong ball?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “I have no idea but when I looked up 'things to give your betta fish' this came up.” I lifted the lid of the tank and dropped the ball in. Bubba scurried down to the bottom of the tank looking up at the bobbing white ball that was floating at the top of his tank. I gently put the lid back on and leaned over to see what he would do next.
Steven grabbed a nectarine and gave it a quick rinse before he leaned against the sink and took a bite. “He seems thrilled.”
We both watched Bubba lay at the bottom of his tank.
“Give him some time.” I said as I stood back up. “Remember how long it took him to go though his pineapple house?”
“About a week.” our son Alex said as he walked in the kitchen. He look in the tank. “He doesn't look too happy right now.”
“Wait, why are you giving him a new toy now? Doesn't Bubba go back to school this week?” Steven asked as he took another bite of his nectarine.
I worked in a school and got the betta as a classroom pet. When summer vacation started I brought him home.
“Well...” I looked over at Alex hoping he'd help me in this discussion but when he just shrugged his shoulders I could see I was on my own. “He's a really great fish.” I started.
Steven looked to Alex then back to me. “You said he'd only be on the kitchen counter for the summer.” He reached over and opened the garbage bin, dropped the pit in, and was ready to close it when I stopped him.
“Don't close it too hard it scares Bubba!” I cried.
“He's a fish!” Steven sighed but gently closed the bin.
“He's our pet now.” I nodded over at Alex. “You and Alex are allergic to cats and dogs so now I can finally have a family pet.” I leaned down to look in the tank again. “Isn't that right, Bubba?”
Alex finally decided to add to the conversation. “He's actually kind of fun to watch.”
“He watches me when I'm at the sink!” I turned to look at Steven. “If you take a tissue from the box,” I pointed to the box of tissues next to the tank. “he gets really excited! Swimming back and forth really fast.” I looked over at Alex. “Isn't he hysterical when you hold up his food container?”
Alex shrugged “He does get pretty excited when he sees his food.”
Steven looked at both of us. “Yeah I see what you mean.” He looked back at Bubba who was still laying on the bottom of the tank. “I could look at that all day and never get bored.”

No comments:

Post a Comment