Friday, October 4, 2019

WINDSHIELD BUDDY



Jogging up the front porch steps, I came into the house and went directly to the kitchen. Opening the cabinet under the sink I grabbed a bottle of window cleaner and pulled the paper towels off it's stand. It was as I was headed back out the front door when I noticed my husband Steven watching me.
“The car's still running.” I explained to him as I dashed out the door again.
Steven decided to follow me. “Didn't you just leave to go to the grocery store?” he asked.
“I never made it there.” I called over my shoulder. “I've run out of windshield washer fluid, so I had to come back home to clean this mess off the windshield!”
“What happened?” Steven asked as he came down the porch steps.
I leaned over the hood of the car, spraying the cleaner on a disgusting smear that took up half my driver's side of the windshield.
“What was that?” he asked, picking up the paper towel roll I'd dropped in the driveway and handed me a sheet.
“A beetle.” I said as I scrubbed harder with the paper towel, only to create a bigger mess than I'd started with. “This is so disgusting!” I cried.
“How'd it happen?”
“It all started out innocently enough.” I said as I sprayed more cleaner. “I was pulling out of our driveway when I noticed some kind of beetle walking across my windshield.” I looked over at Steven as he handed me more paper towel. “Isn't it amazing how these tiny little creatures can hang on so tightly with all that wind blowing over them?”
“Sure.” Steven shrugged his shoulders. “I guess. But how did it get all over the windshield?”
“I didn't want him to get hurt so I stopped the car hoping he'd fly away.” By now the cleaner was finally beginning to do its job. “But he wouldn't fly away! So I started driving again.”
“And?”
“Well, I found myself watching him.” I complained. “I was so busy watching him that I wasn't watching the road.” I dropped the dirty paper towels on the ground and took a clean sheet from Steven. “I was afraid he was going to get me in an accident, so I thought I'd try and help him move a little bit faster.” I admitted.
“You turned on the windshield wipers to get him to move faster?” Steven started to laugh.
“He was already so close to the edge I figured he'd see them coming and fly away.” I reasoned.
Steven stared at me for a moment before he handed me the roll of paper towels and walked back to the house.
“Hey!” I called after him,“It seemed like a good idea at the time!”

No comments:

Post a Comment