Friday, August 30, 2019

WALKING ETIQUETTE



My son Alex and I have been spending a lot of time walking this summer. We've discovered new parks and walking routes all over the county.
It was as we were walking around one of our favorite shady routes (a mile loop around a rugby field) that I noticed a couple coming towards us with a large dog on a leash. I immediately dropped back walking single file behind Alex because the path wasn't very wide. As we passed each other I noticed they were still walking side by side causing me to go further into the tall grass. Once they were past I went back on the trail and began looking at my legs.
“What are you doing?” Alex asked.
“I'm tick checking.” I couldn't help feel annoyed as I brushed off a little speck of dirt that at first I thought was a tick. “How come we seem to be the only ones who have walking etiquette?” I said as we began walking again.
Alex started to laugh. “Walking etiquette, that's a good one.”
“I'm serious!” I saw a jogger coming towards us. “Watch.” As the jogger came closer I smiled and said, “Good morning!”
She smiled back. “Morning!”
After she passed I looked at Alex. “See, that's walking etiquette.”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “She was jogging.” he reminded me. “But I see your point.”
We could hear another jogger coming up behind us so we both moved to the side to let him pass.
“Thanks.” he said as he jogged by.
“You're welcome!” I called even though he had ear buds in his ears. I looked over at Alex and shrugged my shoulders. “I know he probably didn't hear me but I'm still going to be polite.”
“Hey, you're all about the etiquette now! I get it.” We'd finished the first loop and began to go around again.
We said 'Good morning!' a dozen more times, mixing it up with an occasional smile and a nod depending on how we were feeling at the moment.
“See! This is what I'm talking about.” I sighed. “It's a beautiful day, we're walking in the shade where it's nice and cool and we're on our second mile around the Rugby Loop!” I inhaled the wonderful pine smell and sighed again. “What a great day!”
We began seeing the same people as they were walking their second or third loop. We smiled and said our “Morning!” when I noticed an elderly lady, walking slowly by herself, coming towards us..
I looked over at Alex. “Good for her.” I said.
Alex looked confused. “Who?”
I tipped my head in her direction as Alex looked up the path.
“That's how I want to be when I get to be her age.” I took another deep breath of the pine smell. “Doesn't matter how slowly she goes, she's still out enjoying nature and getting some exercise!”
We were now within earshot of each other. “Morning” I called smiling and giving her a head nod.
“I've already seen you.” she grumbled under hear breath as she moved past us and continued her walk.
We waited until she was far enough away before we started to laugh.
“You still want to be just like her when you get older?” Alex asked.

1 comment: