Friday, December 28, 2018

JOTTING IT DOWN



“I love the start of the New Year!” I said as I sat down on the couch next to my husband Steven. “A fresh start! New beginnings! It's all good!”
Steven laughed. “Are you talking about making some New Year's resolutions?”
Now it was my turn to laugh. “No. I'm talking about my new appointment book!” I held it up for him to see. Then grabbed my 2018 appointment book and pulled out a slip of paper from the back. “Now I get to jot down all the appointments I've been keeping on this.” I couldn't help but smile as I transferred the data. “I know it's old school and I should be using my phone calendar but there's just something about an appointment book.” I sighed. “I can't exactly pinpoint why I love it, but I do.”
Steven just shook his head and held up his hand. “Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost mine. Not only do I use it for appointments but I also have 'to do' lists and addresses I need to know.”
I looked over to him and smiled. “See, here's another reason we're perfectly matched! Our love for appointment books!”
While I was writing down the last of my future appointment my phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID. “I have to take this.” I said as I got up to go in the other room. “It's my sister Liz.”
After our hello's she asked what we always ask each other at the beginning of our calls. “What are you up to today?” she asked.
“I'm filling in my new appointment book!” I was waiting for her to laugh at me because she's one of my more tech savvy sisters. Well, to be perfectly honest everyone in my family was more tech savvy then me considering I was still trying to figure out how to use some of the options on my phone. But I was pleasantly surprised when she said, “I love filling out my new appointment book too!”
“Really? I swear I would have thought you'd only use Google calendar on your phone.” I was genuinely surprised. “It never occurred to me that you'd be old school like me!”
“I use my phone for doctor's appointments and to remind me when someone's birthday's coming up but for everything else I use my little black date book.”
I couldn't help but smile as I realized Steven and I weren’t the only ones left in the world who still swore by ours. “I even keep my old ones.” I admitted.
“Me too!”
“Really?”
“Sure. I just went through mine before I packed them up to move. It's kind of fun seeing who you were meeting for dinner and the plans you had years ago.”
“It's like a mini diary.” I added.
After we'd touched on everything else that was happening in our lives we said our good-byes knowing we'd probably catch up again tomorrow.
I went back to the living room where Steven was still writing in his appointment book. “How's Liz?” he asked as he finished writing and put his book on the coffee table.
“She's great!” I sat down next to him. “I just found out she's old school too.”
Steven looked confused. “Old school?”
“She uses an appointment book just like we do.” I couldn't help but smile. “Now I don't feel as technically challenged as I did before.”
“Really?” Steven had to laugh. “Because you're pretty technically challenged.”
“Hey! If my sister still uses an old fashioned appointment book she can't be that technically advanced either!”
Steven looked surprised. “I wouldn't let her hear you say that. Didn't she just teach you how to print from your phone?”
I shrugged my shoulder. “Hey, who knew you could really do that from your phone?”
“Um...” he just shook his head. “I think everyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment