Friday, December 7, 2018

COOKIE DREAMS



I was in the living room reading the newspaper when I saw a section about holiday cookies.
“Hey, Steven!” I called out to my husband who was in the kitchen making a cup of coffee. “Remember when I made Christmas cookie? Which one was your favorite?”
Steven came into the living room and sat down next to me on the couch. “I guess I'd have to say those lacy oatmeal cookies you used to make.” He took a sip of his coffee before setting the mug down on the coffee table, then leaned back against a pillow. “I remember it took you a dozen tries before you'd get the texture you were looking for.” He shook his head as he smiled. “But when you got it they were so good.”
Our son Alex walked into the room. “What was so good?”
“Your Mom asked me about my favorite Christmas cookie.” Steven patted the spot next to him on the couch and Alex came over to sit. “You know, back when your Mom baked.”
Alex looked confused. “You still bake. We just had brownies the other day.”
Steven shook his head. “I'm talking about starting from scratch baking, not making something from a box.”
“It's true.” I sighed. “It's been years since I baked.” I looked over at Alex. “What was your favorite Christmas cookie?”
Alex thought about it a moment. “I really liked the one with the Reese's peanut butter pieces in them.”
“I made one with Reese's peanut butter pieces in them?” Now I was confused. “Are you sure you're not thinking of one of your friends Mom's?”
Steven started to laugh. “Wow! It really had been a long time since you've baked if Alex is remembering someone else's Moms baking!”
“No!” Alex cried. “I swear it was you! It came in an orange bag just like the chocolate chips bag!”
“Oh yeah...” I nodded as I pulled up the memory. “I'd make chocolate chip batter and put Reese's in it instead.”
“Exactly!” Alex looked relieved.
“You're right.” I said as I went back to reading the paper. “They were good, too.”
“Does that mean you're baking this year?” Alex sounded hopeful.
“Naw.” I sighed. “I really don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore.”
Steven and Alex looked at one another. “So why did you ask about our favorite cookies?” Alex asked.
“Oh, I was reading an article about holiday cookies.” I turned the paper around for them to see the article. “I was just wondering what you're favorite ones had been.”
Alex sighed as he got up for the couch. “Well, that was certainly disappointing.”
“I'll say.” Steven got up and followed him into the kitchen.
“Wait!” I called. “I wasn't trying to upset anyone!”
Alex peeked his head around corner, a smile on his face. “If I say I'm upset will that guilt you into baking?”
“Probably not.” I shook my head as I got up from the couch and headed to the kitchen. “But it might guilt me into making you breakfast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment