Friday, December 21, 2018

SLEPT LIKE A BABY



My son Alex has had trouble sleeping since he was very little. He inherited that trait from his Dad, because I can sleep in the middle of the living room, with the television blasting and everyone walking around living their life, and not move a muscle.
But I'd just purchased a weighted blanket for him and now I was waiting for him to wake up and give me the good news. I was hoping he'd come out and tell me he slept through the night and couldn't wait to write a testimonial letter to the company thanking them for their miracle blanket.
I looked at the clock, it was already past 11 o'clock in the morning when I finally heard his door open.
I felt like it was Christmas morning I was so excited. “Well?” I asked.
“Eh...” Alex shrugged his shoulders. “It's too heavy to sleep with.”
“It's supposed to be heavy!” I cried. “That extra weight is what reduces your stress and helps you sleep better!”
“Well, my stress levels went up when I couldn't roll over!” Alex laughed as he shook his head. “I was fine when I was on my back but as soon as I went to go on my side I felt trapped!”
“I'm sorry.” I sighed. “I thought this would be the answer to your sleep problem.”
Alex came over and patted me on the back. “It's okay. It was nice that you tried.”
I shook my head. “When you look at the commercials they just drape it over the person and they practically fall asleep in the middle of eating a tuna sandwich!”
“You really didn't think it was going to be that magical, did you?”
I shook my head again. “No. But everyone I talk to that has one loves it!”
“I like mine.” Alex said. “I just can't use it at night. But I like it when I take a nap on my couch.”
I looked over at him confused. “We were trying to find something that would help you sleep though the night. Not something for napping.”
“Hey, aren't you the one who's always saying a quick nap before dinner is what helps you make it through the rest of the day?” He went into the kitchen to make some coffee.
I just shook my head while I gathered up the shipping boxes the blanket had come in. “I guess we can throw these away now.” I began breaking down the boxes when my husband Steven came in. “Hey, you're throwing out the boxes so I'm going to guess the blanket was a success?”
I sighed. “Not really.”
Alex called out from the kitchen. “I can't sleep with it at night but I like it when I'm napping on my couch!”
Steven looked over at me. “Well, at least it's working some of the time.” He tried to sound encouraging.
“I was hoping he'd tell us it helped him sleep though the night.” I folded the cardboard box in half and began taking apart the next box. “You know, 'Hey, Mom! I slept like a baby!'”
Steven shrugged his shoulder. “Well, he kind of did tell you that.”
I looked over at him confused. “How?”
“He slept exactly like he did when he was a baby.” Steven smiled. “Short naps throughout the day.”
“Exactly!” Alex called from the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment