Friday, January 4, 2019

DREAMS VS REALITY



The winter catalog from our local college had arrived packed with dozens of interesting non-credited courses. As I read through all of the different class descriptions I was getting just as excited as my kids used to get when they looked through the holiday toy catalog.
I held the booklet up for my husband Steven to see. “This class says that if I can write my own name they can teach me how to draw!”
Steven started to laugh. “They haven't seen how you write your name.”
He had a point. No one had ever stopped to admire my penmanship. Truthfully there were times when I had a hard time reading it myself. So I read further down in the course description. “It doesn't mention that it has to be legible. It only says if you can write it they can teach you. Learning how to sketch has always been a dream of mine.”
Steven didn't seem that excited. But I figured that was because he was a natural sketch artist. You could hand him a pencil and he could effortlessly sketch a landscape within a few minutes.
I, on the other hand, had a hard time making stick figures. I'd always envied people like him who could capture the scene in pencil then return home where they would transfer that quick sketch into something beautiful using watercolor or pastels.
For years I'd been tempted to take an art class but I was always intimidated. What if I found out that I was un-teachable. I'd had a reoccurring dream that an art instructor was standing next to me looking at the sketch I'd just completed and was quietly trying to ask me if I'd be interested in a refund.
I quickly re-read the course description that I had in my hand. “This is the first time I've come across a course that seemed made for me.” I looked over at Steven and smiled. “I think I'll sign up for it!”
The excitement in my voice made Steven smile. “I think you should too. When does it start?”
I looked at the bottom of the description. I was hardly able to see the dates and times because I was already picturing myself holding my own sketch book, finally able to create realistic pictures of the local flora and fauna. Then I saw the time. “Oh, wait. This could be a problem.” I sighed.
“What?”
“The class starts at 8:00 at night.”
“So?”
“You know I like to be in my pj's by that time. Especially this time of year when it's dark at 4:30!” I sighed again. “I'm never going to want to leave our nice warm house and go out in the cold and dark.”
“Even to fulfill one of your dreams?”
I sadly nodded my head. “It's too bad but I think reality will win on this one.”
Steven just shook his head.

1 comment:

  1. Nice scene, Kathy. As an art teacher, I completely identify with it. Nice use of attributes as well, short and sweet, but fully emotive.

    ReplyDelete