Friday, January 26, 2018

FAIRY GARDEN


“Oh my gosh! These are so cute!” I came into the kitchen where my husband, Steven was busy making a salad and held up my phone for him to see.
“Fairy doors?” Steven seemed confused as he continued to cut up the romaine.
“I just ordered them!” I looked back at my phone. “They should be here in a few days!” I couldn't help but smile.
Our son Alex walked into the room. “You sure look happy.” He went over to the refrigerator and looked inside.
“I just ordered these!” I held the phone up for him to see.
“Fairy doors?” he looked over at Steven. “Did you see these?”
Steven shrugged his shoulders as he scraped the romaine off the cutting board and into a bowl. “Hey, if it makes your Mom happy...”
“They're fun!” I cried as I looked back at Alex. “You know how much I love the one that's at the little house on the corner!” I looked over at Steven. “Every time I go by that tree, and see that little door, I can't help thinking, 'Who lives in there!'”
Alex was moving things around in the refrigerator, clearly not finding what he was looking for. “She doesn't just think it.” he called over his shoulder. “She actually says it every time we go past that house.”
“Of course I do!” I looked over at Steven who was cutting up cherry tomatoes. “It's a tiny door at the base of a tree! What's not to love!” I looked out the front window. “Now I just have to decide which trees to put them on!”
“Wait a minute!” Alex closed the refrigerator door and looked at me. “What do you mean when you say trees?”
I held up my phone again for him to see my order. “They come four to a package.”
“FOUR!” Alex looked over at Steven who just shook his head.
“Well I'm not going to use all four.” I quickly explained. “That really is too many.” I was looking out the front window again. “But I might do two. One in the front yard and one in the back.”
“What if we skip the front yard and just keep them in the back.” Alex looked to Steven for some backup.
“But then no one will be able to drive by our house, see it and say, 'Who lives in there?'” I looked back at my phone trying to decide which doors I was going to use.
“Exactly!” Alex started to laugh.
“You know, you should be glad I'm just doing the door.” I looked out the back window to see where my new purchase was going to go. “Some people are doing whole fairly gardens!”
Now Alex looked confused. “What's a fairy garden?”
“Along with the doors you can get little stepping stones that lead to the tree, maybe a sign that you can hang next to the door, they even have the fairies themselves! The accessories are endless!” I cried.
Steven tossed the tomatoes in the bowl. “You're just sticking with the door right?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Well, yeah. The door is plenty for me.” I looked over at Alex, trying to reassure him. “I think the rest of the stuff might seem a bit much.”
Steven looked over at Alex. “Now aren't you grateful she only wants the door?”
“I guess.” Alex didn't seem convinced yet.
Steven pointed to the salad. “You want some?”
“Sure.” Alex sighed as he reached in the cabinet and took out some bowls. “But can we at least agree to keep it in the back yard?”
Steven and Alex both turned to look at me.

I thought about it for a moment. “Okay. Fine. Just the backyard.” I sighed.

3 comments: