Friday, December 20, 2019

1940's CHRISTMAS



Fort Hancock was once a bustling Army base at the end of Sandy Hook NJ. Its whole purpose was to protect the New York Harbor during the World Wars. During World War II the population at the Fort was between 7,000 to 12,000 soldiers. This piece takes place at Fort Hancock which is now an historic landmark.

My girlfriend, Kathy sent me a text that one of the houses on Officers Row was going to be decorated in the 1940's era when the fort was at it's busiest. I was in!
The day of the event I swung by her house to picked her up. It was a foggy, drizzly day but we were both still excited to go.
“I've always wanted to get into one of the houses out there.” I said as we drove through the entrance of the park and started the long drive out to the Fort. Sand dunes were on each side of us as we passed the empty parking lots that, in the summer, would be packed with cars.
We parked the car and began walking along Officers Row. “Can you image living out here?” I asked as I pulled my collar up higher and braced myself from the wind whipping across the Raritan Bay.
“Not in the winter I can't!” Kathy said as we both climbed up the front steps.
Once we stepped through the door I began to feel as if I was being taken back to a different time. Men and women dressed in uniform from the 40's were stationed in every room ready to answer our questions.

Kathy and I went into the living room where the Christmas tree stood. The furnishings were from the 1940's, but instead of feeling like we'd just stepped into a museum I was really feeling like I was a little girl again who'd just stepped into my great Aunt's house!
“I think we had one of those.” I whispered as I pointed to side table.
We walked through the dining room and into the butler's pantry. It was stocked with so many familiar containers of spices and food items that I was beginning to feel old. I pointed to the apple slicer. “We had one of those too.” I sighed.
Another guest leaned over and said. “I feel like I could go into my kitchen right now and bring some things over here to add to their collection.”
Kathy and I both nodded in agreement.
We moved on to the kitchen. Kathy picked up an old potato masher. “Oh my gosh! I still have one of those!” I cried.
“Me too.” Kathy said as she put it back down on the table.
We moved upstairs where the nursery and other bedrooms were. We were greeted by a young gentleman dressed in 1940's uniform. He began explaining to us a little bit more of what it was like to live out on the peninsula.
“How bad was it in the winter?” I asked.
“It was bad enough that they used to nail the front doors shut when the wind kicked up and it snowed.”
Kathy and I just shook our heads. “It doesn't sound like much fun.”
“Oh, they had fun.” The officer explained. “They were still ballroom dancing then. In fact, you couldn't graduate West Point without taking ballroom dancing classes.”
I looked over at Kathy. “I had no idea! Did you?”
Kathy shook her head. “I've never heard of that.”
Our officer went on to explain some more about life in the 40's.
Another group came up the stairs and we wanted our officer friend to share his stories with them. Thanking him we went back down the stairs admiring the woodwork and small details you wouldn't expect to see in military housing.
Back out on the front steps I wanted to stop and admire the view they had from their front porch. Picturing them sitting in rocking chairs looking out over the Raritan Bay. But the wind had picked up and it was back to drizzling again so instead we hurried back to the car ready to enjoy the view from the warmth of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment