Friday, December 6, 2019

CALM



The Christmas tree was up and some gifts were already wrapped and under the tree. I scanned the room looking to see what was next.
My husband Steven came into the room. “What are you looking for?” he asked as he scanned the room with me.
“What to do next.” I said as I walked into the kitchen and took a pad and pen out of the drawer. “I have to start my lists!” I held up the pad and pen for him to see. “You know, having a nice Christmas isn't magical!” I sat at the dining room table. “It's a lot of work! I need to be organized, making lists to make sure everything gets done!”
Steven came over and stood next to me. “You know Christmas is weeks away.” He looked over my shoulder to see what I was writing. “You're writing the menus for Christmas breakfast?” he started to laugh.
“Hey! You'll thank me when you have hash browns, bacon, eggs and croissants on Christmas morning!”
My son Alex walked into the room. “We're having hash browns, bacon and eggs Christmas morning?”
“Don't forget the croissants.” Steven reminded him.
“See, that's exactly why I make lists.” I ripped the page from the pad. “Okay that's done. What's on the dinner menu?”
Steven shook his head as he walked past Alex and patted him on the shoulder. “I'm leaving this one to you.”
Alex nodded than sat down across from me at the table. “When was the last time you meditated?” he asked.
“What?” I shook my head. “I don't have time to meditate! It's days before Christmas!”
“You're acting like you've had six cups of tea.”
“I only had two.” I shot back.
“You're never going to enjoy the holidays if you keep up this pace.”
I sighed. “I know, but I just don't have time to meditate.”
“It's ten minutes.” Alex picked up my phone and pointed to the meditation app I'd downloaded over the summer. “Ten minutes.” he said again.
“Fine.” I sighed. “I'll meditate.” I took my phone and grabbed my earbuds, then headed to my bedroom. I laid on my bed and put my earbuds in then tapped on my meditation app. The soothing female voice welcomed me as the sounds of burbling water and birds could be heard in the background.
I listened as she told me to follow my breath, explaining why I needed to clear my head of daily struggles. I smiled as I closed my eyes and fell further and further into the pillows of my bed.
Twenty minutes later there was a knock on my door. I opened my eyes to see Alex standing in the doorway. “How was the meditation?” he asked. “Do you do two of them?”
I sat up pulling, the earbuds out of my ears. “I'm not sure I'd call it meditation.” I stood up and did a quick stretch. “I'm pretty sure I just took a nap.”
“Meditation, nap.” Alex laughed as he shrugged his shoulders. “Doesn't matter what you call it as long as you feel better. Right?”
“I do feel better.” I said I put my hand up to my mouth, covering a small yawn. “I might actually do another one a little later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment