Friday, November 8, 2019

TIMES UP



My son Alex and I were getting in the car when I paused and couldn't help but feel a little sad. “Well, I guess it's time.” I said as I brushed off some sand that was on my seat before I climbed in and started the car.
“Time for what?” Alex buckled his seat belt.
I reached over to turn on the heat. “It's finally too cold to visit the beach anymore.”
Alex put his hood up from his jacket. “We can still park down there. I'm just not getting out and sitting on the sand anymore.”
“I know. That's what I mean.” I brushed some more sand from my seat. “I've put it off long enough. It's time to get the car cleaned out.” My car had a black interior so the sand on the seats and floor were pretty noticeable. “I just kept hoping local summer would pop up again and we could get one more time to just sit on the beach and listen to the waves.”
Alex reached over and turned up the heat. “I'm pretty sure the beach season is over.” He reached over and patted me on the shoulder. “But it's still nice out.”
I backed the car out of the driveway. “Remember a few weeks ago when we saw that pod of dolphins?”
Alex laughed. “You mean the ones that were heading south?”
“Oh yeah.” Now I had to laugh. “Seems like they're brighter than we are.” The car hadn't warmed up yet and I couldn't help but shudder. “I wish we could be heading south right now.”
We were on our way to the grocery store but I decided to stop at the car wash first.
“You're really getting the car washed now?” Alex didn't look thrilled as I pulled in.
“We might as well get it over with.” I got on the line with about a dozen cars ahead of me.
Alex sighed. “This is going to take forever.”
“It'll go quick, I promise.” I began looking around the car picking up things that I wanted to throw away before we got to the front of the line. I looked in my center console. “Ahh, all our parking stubs from Point Pleasant, Manasquan and Asbury Park!” These were all shore towns we'd visited over the past few months. “I guess they're trash now.” I crumpled them up getting ready to toss them in the bin. I looked over at Alex. “I love the fall, I really do! But I have to tell you I've never been a fan of winter.”
Alex patted me on the shoulder again. “Don't worry. In a short six months we'll be back to our favorite time of year.”
I groaned. “How's that suppose to make me feel better!” I cried.
“Hey, it will fly by, you'll see.” he slumped down in his seat. “It'll go by about as quickly as this car wash line.” he grumbled.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Again... A Keyport Transplant, I read your Blog regularly. It always brings me Home. This one is special. I was part of the Adopt A Beach Program and would clean up Terry PArt Beach at least a few times a month.Sitting there, Alone, Quiet and listening to the water is an experience everyone should have regularly. Here in Florida I sit and listen to Tampa Bay--But it's not the same.

    Thanks so much for the memories you bring up for me...
    btw I also write. I write for myself but share. Knowing that even one person is impacted by my words is so rewarding.
    I just wanted you to know how much your words mean in my life.

    Cathy Aumack
    facebook.com/ThePatientWarriors/

    ReplyDelete