Friday, May 3, 2019

LILAC PROUD



I was sitting in our living room, windows open, enjoying the cool breeze when my son Alex came into the room. “What are you up to today?” I asked.
“Working.” he said as he went into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. “What about you?” he called.
I sighed as I laid back and inhaled. “Right now I'm just enjoying our lilac bush.” I called before taking another deep breath. “I can't believe I can smell from here.”
Alex came in with his coffee and looked out the window at our lilac bush at the end of our driveway. “It sure is in full bloom.”
I looked over at him. “I don't mean to brag but if you look up and down our street you'll noticed that we have the biggest and nicest one in the neighborhood.” I smiled at him as if I had something to do with it.
Alex laughed. “I don't have to look, I believe you.”
I sat up and pointed to our neighbor. “I mean his is nice, maybe just as big, but it's got a white flower. Not the beautiful lavender one we have. And it has maybe a third of the blooms ours has!”
Alex shook his head. “I didn't know it was a competition.”
“Well, it's not really.” I shrugged my shoulders. “I'm just lilac proud.”
Alex rubbed his forehead and shook his head. “Did someone just cut their grass?”
I looked out the window. “I don't think so. Why?” I looked back at him.
“My allergies are bothering me today.” He took the heal of his hand and began rubbing his eye. Just then my husband Steven came into the room and saw Alex rubbing his eye. “You too?” he asked.
“Yeah, someone must have cut their lawn.” he shook his head again.
“It's the lilac bush.” Steven said as he went over to the window and closed it.
“Hey!” I cried. “I was just enjoying how great it smelled!”
“Sorry about that, but my head is pounding.” he looked over at Alex. “I'll put the air on.”
“Thanks.” Alex sat down on the couch. “Sorry about that, Mom. But that great smell you're smelling is just a headache to us.”
I sighed as I leaned back on the couch. “You know when I was growing up my Mom used to have a special vase that she used just for lilac's. It was a gorgeous dark purple. She'd cut an armload of lilacs, put them in that beautiful vase, and put it in the middle of the dining room table.” I looked over at him. “I used to love the way the whole house smelled like lilacs.”
“Nobody in your family was allergic?”
“Nope, not a one, and there were nine of us.” I shrugged my shoulders again and looked back out the window. “I wonder who got that vase when we split up the house?”
“Yeah, I wonder?” Alex looked concerned. “Maybe you should call Aunt Liz and ask her if she knows where it is?”
I got up to get my phone. “That's a great idea!” I stopped before I left the room. “You know you're lucky I'm so easily distracted. Otherwise, I'd still be upset that I'm not laying on my couch enjoying the smell of my lilac's!”
Alex just nodded his head and smiled. “I have to admit, it does come in handy at times.”

1 comment: