Friday, April 26, 2019

SAYING GOODBYE



I was standing by my couch trying to get the best possible light, before snapping a picture, when my husband Steven came in. “Why are you taking a picture of our couch?”
“Because everyone takes pictures when they go on vacation.” I said matter-of-fact.
Steven looked confused. “We didn't go anywhere.”
“You might not have gone anywhere but...” I patted the arm of the couch. “Spring break 2019 was spent on this baby.” I sighed. “And it was wonderful!”
Steven shook his head and laughed. “But why the picture?”
I moved the pillows and draped the blanket in that causal, I-just-got-up look. “Because when I get back to school and everyone's showing their photos of all the beautiful places they visited I want to have something to show too!” I snapped another picture and checked to see if I liked it. “That's a keeper.”
“It's our couch.” Steven just shook his head.
“Hey! This was one of the best Spring breaks I've had in a long time!” I smiled as I fluffed the pillows. “I read a few books, binge watched some shows, ate anything I wanted, and then to top it all off I napped!” I looked over at Steven. “When my school friends show me their pictures of Disney or any other theme park vacations I'll be able to look into their exhausted eyes and show them this!” I turned my phone around and showed him my couch picture. “You know I'll be the envy of them all when they look into my well rested eyes.”
“What if they went to a relaxing beach resort?” Steven said with a laugh.
“Still have them beat!”
“How?”
“I didn't have to pack, fly there or get into a bathing suit this early in the season! And I spent most of my days in my pj's!” I smiled as I sat down on couch and wrapped the blanket around me. “Totally winning!”
Steven laughed as he sat down next to me. “I did appreciate that you showered every day.”
“Hey! I'm not an animal!” I laughed.
“Well, I'm glad you had a nice break.”
“Yeah.” I sighed “The only problem I'm having right now is saying goodbye.” I lovingly moved my hand over the cushion. “It's been awesome.” I whispered to the cushion.
“You do know you'll see the couch when you get home from work?” Steven raised his eyebrows. “Right?”
“It won't be the same.” I leaned back and put my feet up on the coffee table. “Sitting here after a day of work is me fighting to stay awake long enough to make dinner.”
“Well, it won't be long before you'll have Summer break and you can go right back to your favorite piece of furniture.” Steven patted the cushion before he got up.
I shook my head. “This isn't my favorite piece of furniture in the Summer.” I couldn't believe he knew so little about me.
“Wait!” Steven turned around. “It's the rocking chair on the back porch! I knew that.”
“Exactly!” I smiled as I leaned back and watched Steven go into the kitchen. Then I patted the cushion next to me again. “But, just remember, you were my favorite this whole past week.” I whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment