Friday, February 22, 2019

NEST FIDELITY



It was a dreary day and I needed to do something to make myself feel better. So I went to my son, Alex's door and knocked. “Can I look out your side door?” I called. “I want to see if the daffodils are coming up by your porch.”
“Sure.” he called.
I went through his bedroom and into his office. “Thanks.” I said as I opened the side door and stepped out onto his small deck. Leaning over the railing I could see that not only had the daffodils come up but you could see some of the buds popping through too. “Yeah!” I cried. “Do you want to come see the daffodils? They're almost ready to open!”
“That's okay. I believe you.” I could hear him busily tapping away on his keyboard.
I popped my head back inside. “You know what this means don't you?”
Alex turned in his chair, a confused looked on his face. “What?”
“Spring is on the way!” I couldn't help but smile.
Alex shook his head and laughed. “It's still February.”
“Hey, there was a reason the daffodils were planted on the sunny side of the house.” I stepped back inside and sat down on his futon. “So they'd come up sooner then the rest and make me feel like Spring is just around the corner.”
“Well, if that makes you feel better, I'm glad.” He turned back to his computer.
“You know what else this means, don't you?”
“No.” Alex shook his head. “What?”
“Your robin couple will be making their nest in the holly tree right outside your window again.”
His fingers stopped in midair as he turned around to face me. “Are you kidding me?”
I shook my head. “Nope. It's called nest fidelity. I looked it up. It's a real thing.”
Alex looked confused. “Nest fidelity?”
“Yup. It's when birds have a successful nest they'll go back to the same spot, if not the same nest and start all over again!” I couldn’t help but smile. “Isn't that amazing!”
Alex leaned back in his chair. “That's just great.” he sighed. “Another few weeks of that idiot bird pooping all over my deck and slamming himself against my storm door.”
“Hey, he was only trying to protect his nest. He kept seeing his reflection in your storm door and thought another bird was invading his territory.”
“Exactly what I said. He was an idiot!”
“Well, if you want me to, I can always put the paper up on the door to block his reflection.”
Alex sighed again. “That's still not going to stop him from using my deck as his bathroom.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Well, maybe he won't be as messy this year.”
“What makes you say that?” He reached over and grabbed his water bottle and took a drink.
“Well if we get the paper up before they come back maybe he won't see his reflection and feel like he has to sit on your railing to guard his nest?”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “I guess we could try. Do you want to put it up now?”
Now it was my turn to look confused. “Why would I put it up now? It's only February!”
Alex just shook his head as he turned back to his computer. “You're killing me here.”
I had to laugh as I got up and kissed him on the top of the head. “I love you too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment