Friday, February 8, 2019

AISLE 1, 2 OR 3



“How'd it go?” Steven asked as he opened the front door to let me in.
“Have I mentioned how much I hate grocery shopping?” I said as I walked by him headed to the kitchen with bags hanging from both my arms.
“Any more in the car?”
“Yeah, thanks!” I called as I put the bags on the counter top and began unloading.
Steven came in with more bags and placed them on the counter. “This is the last of them.” He reached in and pulled out a large container of feta cheese.
I looked over at him. “Do you know how hard it was to find that?” I pointed to the feta container.
“Wasn't it in the cheese aisle?” Steven put it in the refrigerator.
“No.” I pulled out the yellow sheet of paper that was the store directory. “You've been telling me to use this until I get used to the new store but it tells you cheese is in freezer door 35 through 51 and you can find a tiny container there but then when I got to the produce section they had the big container there.” I shook my head annoyed as I remembered having to go back through the entire store to return the tiny container. “The store directory is useless!”
“It's not useless.” Steven sighed as he put the loaf of bread in the cabinet. “You just hate getting used to a new store.”
“I'm not arguing that!” I sighed as I put the cold cuts away. “The place is packed all the time!”
“That's because everyone loves a new store but you.” He was leaned against the counter as I finished putting the last of the groceries away. “But once you get used to it I bet you're going to love it too.”
“I'm going to have to.” I sighed again as I held up the container of hummus. “Guess where they keep this?”
Steven laughed. “Where?”
“I can't remember.” I laughed. “But I remember thinking, that's a stupid place to have it!” I put it in the refrigerator.
Steven came over and gave me a hug. “I know you don't like change but I promise you'll get used to this new store and you'll love it!”
“I know.” I leaned back against the counter. “I did find one trick that helps get me around the store when it's really crowded.”
“What?
“Aisle 1, 2 and 3! They're always empty. So if I want to get from one side of the store to the other, I use them.”
Steven seemed confused. “Why are they always empty?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “That's where all the healthy stuff is.” I started to laugh. “Clearly we don't live in a community that wants natural snacks, gluten free stuff or any kind of vitamins.”
Steven shook his head. “In a way, that's kind of sad.”
“Really?” I looked over at him. “They have an open barrel of bulk granola in that aisle. I can pick up a few scoops for you if you want.”
Steven shook his head. “No thanks. I'm good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment