Friday, October 5, 2018

NUMBER PLEASE



I had just gotten home from work and met my husband Steven in the driveway. “The weirdest thing just happened today.” I said as I walked over to his truck and gave him a quick kiss.
“Oh yeah?” He was pulling his file boxes out of the truck and closed the door with his elbow. “What was it?”
We were both walking to the front door. “They wanted me to fill out a new emergency form at work and when it came to writing down who I wanted notified first I put your name down.”
“Well, thanks. It's nice to know you'd like me to be called first. But why is that weird?” He put his file boxes down and took the keys out of his pocket to unlock the front door.
“That wasn't the weird part.” He held the door open for me to go though first. “It's when I was supposed to write down your phone number and I had no clue what it was.”
Steven shrugged his shoulders. “I don't know your phone number either.”
“I know! Nobody knows phone numbers anymore!” I dropped my purse and tote on the chair and tossed the keys in the basket we kept on the counter. “Remember when we knew all our friends phone numbers by heart?”
“Sure, but now we don't have to. I just go to my contacts and hit Kat and I'm talking to you.”
“I know, but what if you lost your phone and wanted to call me?” I grabbed a water bottle out of the cabinet.
“If my phone's lost how am I suppose to call you?” He started to laugh.
I just sighed. “You know what I mean. What if you borrowed someone's phone?”
He shrugged his shoulders. “I don't know. I guess I'd figure something out.” He went over to get a water bottle too.
“But that's what I'm talking about. We should know each others phone number. Just in case. Do you know when I looked you up in my contacts...”
Steven interrupted. “Under 'My Hero'.”
I laughed. “Yeah, I remember when you put that in my contacts. The first time you called me and it came up that My Hero was calling I couldn't stop laughing.”
“So you knew right away it was me!” He smiled as he leaned against the counter.
“Yeah, I knew.” I held up my hand. “But reminding me that you're cute isn't going to stop me from saying that we need to memorize each others phone numbers, just in case.”
Steven sighed. “Fine. I'll memorize your phone number.”
I had to smile. “Do you want me to write it on your hand, like we did way back in our dating years?”
Steven looked confused. “You never wrote your phone number on my hand.”
I shrugged my shoulder. “I never wrote my number on anyone's hand. But you see it in movies all the time so I thought I'd throw it out there.”
Steven just shook his head. “Well this will be a fun weekend project I can add to my list.” I couldn't help but hear the sarcasm in his voice.
Alex walked into the kitchen. “What fun weekend project?”
“Your Mom wants us to memorize each others phone numbers.”
Alex looked confused. “You just look in your phone. It's right in your contacts.”
“But what if you lost your phone?” I countered. “How would you call me?”
Alex looked even more confused. “How can I call you if I lost my phone?”
Steven burst out laughing. “I said the same thing!”
“Oh my God!” I couldn't help but shake my head. “You two are killing me here!”

No comments:

Post a Comment