Friday, October 26, 2018

BUFFET BLUNDER



It was getting late and I'd just finished a three hour seminar for work when I finally walked in my front door.
“Hey, how was the seminar?” my husband Steven called from the living room.
“Pretty good.” I answered as I hung my coat up in the closet and went into the living room. Steven patted the cushion next to him on the couch and I sat down. “I just wished they hadn't stopped for a dinner break.” I sighed as I put my feet up on the coffee table and looked over at him. “I could have been home a half hour sooner.”
Steven looked confused. “They served dinner?”
I grabbed a pillow to put behind my head. “Yeah, they had a buffet. Sandwiches, wraps, potato salad, a whole bunch of stuff.”
Steven put the television on mute. “Did you know they were going to serve dinner?”
“Yeah.” Now it was my turn to look confused. “It was on the invitation.”
“But you ate before you went.”
“I know.” Now I was really confused. “I was the one who cooked our dinner before I left.”
“So you ate twice?”
“No, of course not.” I began shaking my head. “I just told you I ate dinner with you. Why is this so important to you?”
“Because it's rude not to eat something when someone goes to all the trouble of getting food for you.” Steven just shook his head looking disappointed.
“But I'd already eaten!” I cried. “I wasn't hungry!”
“You shouldn't have eaten dinner with us.”
“But that's when I was hungry!” I was starting to get annoyed.
Steven just shrugged his shoulders. “Hey, don't get upset with me. I'm just letting you know it was rude. You could have at least put something on a plate and pretended.”
I leaned my head back against the pillow and stared at the ceiling. “Great.” I sighed. “Now I'm trying to remember if anyone saw me not eating.”
“Well, what were you doing while everyone else was getting their food?”
I thought about that for a moment. “I don't know.” I sighed. “I didn't know I was being rude so I wasn't really paying attention.” I thought some more. “I think I was returning emails and texts.”
“So you were on your phone while everyone else was eating and socializing?” Steven shook his head again.
“Oh come on! No one was socializing! Everyone else was on their phone too! They were just eating at the same time!” I sighed as I looked over at him. “Great. Now my boss thinks I'm rude.”
Steven shook his head. “Do worry about it now. But just remember next time even if you've already eaten, eat again.” Steven shrugged his shoulders. “At least, that's what I would have done.”
I had to laugh. “Oh sure. Easy for you to say! You're always hungry!”
Steven smiled as he turned the sound back on the television. “Hey.” He shrugged his shoulders again and patted his stomach. “I'm never rude when it comes to food!”

No comments:

Post a Comment