Friday, November 9, 2018

RUTTING SEASON



I'd just gotten back from a girl's weekend trip and was dragging my suitcase up the front walk when my husband Steven opened the front door. “How was your trip?”
“Loved it!” He took my suitcase from me while I tossed my pocketbook on a chair in the living room. “We did a little shopping and went to the movies but we spent most of our time drinking wine and talking!” I smiled as I took off my jacket. “So to answer your question, it was perfect.”
Steven laughed. “I'm glad you had a good time.”
I followed him into the kitchen to put the kettle on for a cup of tea. “But I did have a scary ride home.”
Steven looked concerned. “What happened?”

“Well, I was driving up the parkway, loving how beautiful the fall trees were looking and how the sky was so clear and the sun was shining so brightly when all of a sudden a huge flashing sign said, 'October-November, PEAK SEASON, Dusk-Dawn' with a picture of a jumping deer!”
“It's their rutting season.” Steven looked confused. “You know that.”
“I know but I can't remember seeing those signs before.” I grabbed a cup out of the cabinet and placed my teabag in it. “It completely ruined the rest of my drive!”
“The parkway warning you about deer ruined your drive?” Steven looked confused.
“Yes!” I leaned back against the counter top. “The only thing that sign did was terrify me my whole ride home.” I shook my head. “Now I'm not seeing the beautiful trees anymore, instead I'm looking in the woods trying to guess when a crazy deer is going to come flying out at me!”
“But that's a good thing.” Steven still looked confused.
“No it's not!” I turned the kettle off and poured the water into my cup. “Even if I see a deer coming I'm going 80 miles an hour, how am I suppose to avoid a deer?”
I turned around to face Steven and could see he didn't look very happy. “You're going 80 miles an hour on the parkway?” he asked.
“Oh, come on! I'm just keeping up with the rest of the cars.” I sighed. “But that's not the point.” I pulled my teabag out of my cup and threw it in the trash. “The only thing that sign said to me was, Good luck on your ride home. May you lose the lottery of a deer crashing into you!”
Steven just laughed. “That's all you got from the warning?”
“Yes!” I took a sip of my tea. “It's bad enough I have to look out for crazy drivers now they want me to scan the woods for deer! How am I suppose to enjoy a drive on a beautiful fall day when I'm constantly being reminded that there are crazy deer everywhere?”
“I'm sorry your drive home was ruined.” Steven just shook his head and stifled a laugh.
“Thank you.” I took another sip of tea. “Now I think I'm going to sit on the back deck and enjoy the colors of the trees from the safety of my rocking chair.” I went to the back door but before I opened it I looked back at Steven. “Do you want to join me? It's beautiful out.”
Steven shook his head. “I think maybe you could use the time alone to unwind.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Maybe you're right.” I opened the back door then started to laugh. “Unless you're going to tell me I have to watch out for the crazy deer stampeding out of our woods and ending up on our deck.”
“No, but I will tell you to come back inside if you see them too close to the house.”
I turned around to see if he was kidding.
“Hey,” Steven shrugged his shoulders. “Better to be safe then sorry. They do get a little crazy this time of year.”
“What ever happened to the good old days when you rarely saw a deer but when you did you thought they were cute?”
Steven just shrugged his shoulder again.
“I miss those days.” I sighed as I went outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment