Friday, November 23, 2018

RUSHING VS. ENJOYING



It was Thanksgiving morning and while the turkey was in the oven and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was on the television my son Alex walked into the living room. “Happy Thanksgiving.” he said as he leaned over the couch to kiss the top of my head. “It smells really good in here already!”
“Thanks.” I took a sip of my tea. “I'm just taking a little break before I start peeling the turnip and potatoes.”
Alex went into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. “What time do you think we're going to be eating?” he called out to me.
“I'm thinking around 4 o'clock. Does that sound good to you?”
“Sure.” he came in and sat down next to me on the couch. “You sure love watching this parade every year.”
“I really do.” I looked over and smiled at him. “I don't know what it is about it, but I love it! When you see Santa at the end it really gets you in the Christmas spirit!”
Alex just laughed. “Whatever you say.”
“Hey,” I grabbed the remote to pause the show. “I was wondering if you could help me bring down the Christmas decorations from the attic when you're finished with your coffee?”
Alex looked confused. “But it's Thanksgiving. Don't we at least wait until the weekend after to get them down?”
“Usually, but this year's different.” I looked over at the dining room table that was already set for dinner. “Usually we have company for Thanksgiving but this year's it's only us.”
Alex smiled. “I know! Thanksgiving in sweat pants! I love it!”
I had to laugh. “Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to it too! But we're having guests over tomorrow and I'd really like to have the house decorated for them.”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “Sounds like a lot of work to me.”
“It is. But once it's done the house looks so pretty!” I tried to sound convincing.
Alex shook his head. “Sure. Why not?”
“Great! Thank you!” I turned the parade back on just in time to see one of my favorite balloons floating down the street. “I used to feel so much more connected to New York when your Aunt Lizzy lived there.” I sighed. “I'd watch the snippets they'd show of the Broadway shows that year and maybe see one with her.” I sighed again. “But then she moved to North Carolina.”
“Wait.” Alex looked over at me. “What's happening here? Two seconds ago you were so happy?”
“I know.” I sighed. “It's this time of year. One minute you're super excited about the holiday and the next you're remembering something that's not a part of you're holidays anymore.” I shrugged my shoulders. “It happens as you get older.”
Alex shook his head. “All right. Well, let's get you happy again.” He put his cup on the coffee table. “Let's start getting the decorations down.”
“Oh really!” I got up from the couch leaving the television on so we could still hear the parade as I went to pull down the attic stairs. “This is going to be so much fun!” Climbing up the stairs I began pulling the containers that I wanted to hand down to him.
Several minutes later I was handing the last container down when my husband Steven came into the hall. “What are you doing?”
“Getting the Christmas decorations down.” I said. “I want to start decorating right after dinner!”
Steven looked confused. “Aren't you rushing the season just a little?”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “Don't ask me.”
That's when I could hear the parade was coming to an end.
“HERE COMES SANTA!” the host of the parade announced. “THE HOLIDAY SEASON HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!”
I looked at the two of them as I pushed the last container over to the side in the living room. “I think you both just got your answer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment