Friday, May 25, 2018

HUMMINGBIRD HOT TODDY



I was busy making dinner, when my son Alex came into the kitchen. “It smells good in here! What are you making?”
I grabbed a fork to turn over the chicken cutlet I was frying. “I'm making chicken parmesan.” I said as I reached over and stirred the pot with the sauce in it.
“So what's this for?” Alex lifted the pot that was filled with water.
“I'm making hummingbird nectar.” I pointed to the hummingbird feeders next to the sink. “It's that time of year again!” I cried. “I love watching those little guys swooping around the back porch!”
Alex put the lid back on. “Is there anything I can do?”
“You could set the table.” I suggested. “Dinner should be ready in about a half an hour.”
After dinner, I was straightening up the kitchen and watching out the window as my husband Steven and Alex played a game of cornhole in the back yard. I couldn't help but smile as I heard the thunk of the beanbag hit the wooden board. It was another sound that reminded me that summer was almost here.
I touched the side of the pot that the hummingbird nectar was cooling in. Even though it was still a bit warm I decided to put the nectar into the feeders. Carrying them out the back door I hung them up on their posts and leaned over the rail to watch the cornhole match.
“Who's winning?” I asked.
“Dad.” Alex said as he laid the beanbag in the palm of his hand and lined up his toss. “But I'm only a point away from him.” He tossed the bag and it slid along the board slipping through the hole.
“Three point! You're ahead now!” I called, happy to see they were both having fun before I went back in to finish up the kitchen.
I was only inside for a moment when Steven called. “You've already got hummingbirds at your feeder!”
I ran back outside. “NO! NO! NO!” I cried. “It's too soon!”
Alex and Steven stopped playing and looked at me. “Too soon?” Steven asked.
“It wasn't fully cooled!” I cried. “I didn't expect them now!” I went over to touch the outside of the feeder. “It doesn't feel that warm.” I admitted. “Now I'm not sure what to think.”
Steven and Alex looked at one another and began shaking their heads.
“What?” I cried as I looked at them. “I could have burnt their little throats!”
“Isn't the feeder sitting in the sun all summer long?” Steven asked.
“Yeah...” I wasn't sure where he was going with this.
“So don't you think the nectar gets a little warm just sitting out all day?” Alex and Steven began collecting their beanbags.
“Hey, that's true!” I was beginning to feel a little better. “It must warm up in the sun.”
Steven looked by the side of the house. “You know, he flew this way. Do you want me to check and see if he's not laying in the grass somewhere needing help?”
“Very funny.” I wasn't feeling amused as the two of them came up on the deck to put away their beanbags. Steven opened the back door. “Are you coming in?” he asked.
“In a minute.” I said.
Steven started to laugh. “You're going to go around the side of the house and check aren't you.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Maybe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment