Friday, May 11, 2018

A ROBIN'S RANT



My husband Steven was outside trimming our holly tree when he sent me a picture of a nest with four baby blue eggs in it. I raced outside.
“You found a robin's nest!” I cried.
Steven was standing away from the tree as a robin was frantically hopping on the railing by my son, Alex's back door.
“Yeah.” Steven pointed to the robin. “But he's so upset I thought I'd stop for today and let him settle down.”
“That's a good idea.” I so desperately wanted to take a peek at the nest but I was afraid to get too close to the tree. Instead I looked back at the picture Steven had sent me. “This is going to be so great!” I cried. “I'll be able to watch the baby birds from Alex's door.”
I went back inside and knocked on Alex's door.
“Come in!” he called.
I went through his bedroom and into his office. “You're not going to believe what's right outside your door!” I held up the phone so he could see the picture.
“Oh, great.” he sighed. “Screaming baby birds right outside my door.”
“Hey!” I was a bit surprised. “We're going to be able to watch nature up close!” I went to his door and opened it. The glass on the door was smeared with something white. “Ewe...” I cried. “What's all over your door?”
Alex came over. “Ewe... what is that?”
I looked over at his railing which was covered with bird poop. “Well, I'm guessing this is where he's hanging out protecting his nest.”
“Okay, I get the railing.” he looked over at me. “Which is disgusting, by the way, but what's all over my glass?”
I closed the door and went to my room where I could look out my window and watch the robin on Alex's railing. It wasn't long before I realized what was happening.
“Hey, Alex! Come here a minute!”
Alex came into my room. “What's up?”
I pointed out my window. “Watch.”

The robin was sitting on Alex's railing when suddenly it glanced over to his glass storm door and began making a funny squeaking sound and flew at the window. “He's seeing his reflection in your window and thinking it's another bird, so he's protecting his nest.” I explained.
“Oh, great.” Alex shook his head. “So he's not a very smart bird and now he's having kids.”
I started to laugh. “Really? That's what you've come up with?”
Alex pointed to all the poop on his railing. “That, and seeing his reflection is clearly scaring it right out of him!”
I had to laugh again. “Don't worry, after I clean it up I'll put something on the glass where he can't see his reflection anymore.” I looked over at Alex. “How's that?”
Alex nodded. “That sound like it should work.”
“Just think we'll be able to watch the babies for almost two weeks before they leave the nest!”
“Yeah.” he said, but he didn't sound very enthusiastic.
“I'm so glad I've passed my love of nature on to you.” I called after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment