Friday, June 17, 2016

FINDER OF LOST THINGS

“Does anyone know where the good scissors are?” my son Alex called from the kitchen.
“In the drawer on the left of the stove.” I called from the living room.
“I'm in that drawer and it's not here!” he called back.
“Did you really look?” I called.
“I did!” he called back. “They're not here.”
I went into the kitchen and looked into the open drawer Alex was standing in front of. Pushing a few things around I finally had to admit, “Okay you're right. They're not in here.”
“I told you that.” Alex said. “Why didn't you believe me?”
I had to laugh. “Are you kidding? How many times have you guys said you couldn't find something. I tell you over and over again that it's there and to look again. We go back and forth until I can't take it anymore and I have open the drawer, cabinet or refrigerator where I can practically reach in with my eyes closed and hand it to you!”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “ What can I say? You're better at finding things then we are.” Alex looked back in the drawer. “So where do you think the scissors are?”
“Obviously someone didn't put them back when they were done using them!” I decided to call out to whoever else was in the house. “Come on people! When you use something you have to put it back where they belong!”
Just then Steven came into the kitchen. “What's missing?” he asked.
“The good scissors.” Alex said.
“I haven't seen them.” he said.
By now I'd leaned myself up against the counter, crossed my arms across my chest and looked off in the distance as I tried to mentally scan the house.
Alex looked over at me. “What's she doing?” he asked Steven.
Steven looked at me. “Let's be quiet and let her work.”
It only took me a minute before I said. “Go check in the laundry room they're on the ironing board.”
Steven and Alex looked at one another before Alex headed for the laundry room.
I went back into the living room but could hear him call out. “She's right!They're here!”
Alex went back into the kitchen where Steven was getting some water. “How does she do that?” I overheard Alex ask Steven.
I had to smile as I heard Steven say, “We don't ask questions. We just enjoy the results.”
I usually love the fact that, for some reason, I've always been really good at finding lost things. But in this particular case I really couldn't take much credit for my amazing powers.

It seems that while I was mentally scanning the house I remembered I'd been the last one to use the scissors to wrap a birthday present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment