Saturday, March 26, 2016

BONSAI BIRTHDAY

My husband, Steven walked into the kitchen to find me standing at the counter holding a handful of little yellow leaves. “It seems that I'm slowly killing it.” I said sadly.
Steven's sister had sent him a bonsai tree for his birthday. I was so happy when it first arrived. I read the card that came with the tree. “When it blooms it's going to be covered with rosy pink flowers!” I read to Steven as he was busy unwrapping all of the protective material that a bonsai seemed to need when it traveled.
“I'm glad you like it, because these things need a lot of care and I'm never going to have the time or patience to do it.” he said.
At the time I couldn't believe how silly he sounded, but now that I've been trying to care for this unbelievably needy plant for the past two weeks, I'm beginning to lose patience myself.
“I read that you can't let it dry out because that would be a huge shock to its system.” I said. “But I keep forgetting to leave the water out for twenty-four hours so all the chlorine will evaporate. Now I'm guessing that it doesn't like our tap water.” I complained as I picked up another yellow leaf from its delicate limb. “Then it has to have just the right amount of morning light that I can't seem to find in this house. Even if I could find the right exposure it can't be too close to the window because it might feel a draft.” I was still picking more yellow leaves and throwing them in the trash. “It also can't be too close to any of the heating ducts because we have forced hot air and that will kill it in an instant!”
“I told you they were a lot of work.” Steven reminded me.
“For all the nurturing and care I've had to put into this thing your sister could have sent you a puppy for your birthday! At least puppies are cute and give back some love and show some appreciation for all you do for them!” I whined.
Our boys, Alex and Max, walked into the kitchen. “Has Mom killed the bonsai yet?” Alex asked.
“Not yet, but it looks like it's on its way.” Steven said as he pointed to the pile of yellow leaves in the trash.
Alex looked disappointed. “I guess I lose that bet.” he said.
Max started to smile. “It looks like I might win this thing after all.”
“Hold on a minute.” Steven said. “It was my birthday present. I should really be the one to win this bet.”
“She's going to have to keep it alive for another week for you to win.” Alex reminded him.
Wait a minute.” I couldn't believe what I was hearing. “You three placed bets on how long it's going to take me to kill this thing?”
“We all know you're not very good with plants, Mom.” Alex said. “I never really thought it would make it through the first week, so I thought I was being generous taking the two week bet.”
“I had more faith in you.” Max said. “That's why I gave you three weeks before it got tossed in the trash.”
I looked over at Steven.
“I've got the fourth week.” he admitted.
“I can't believe you guys!” I was actually a bit hurt by their bet. “You've seen how much time and effort I've put into this thing.”

“We know that.” Steven said. “But come on, it's a bonsai.” he reasoned. “You have to admit the odds were against you from the beginning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment