Friday, April 1, 2016

BREAKING A SWEAT

“Do you want to go to a yoga class with me?” This question was coming from a friend who was always trying to find a new way to keep herself in shape.
Of course my first thought was to say, “Heck no, I enjoy my extra pounds.” but I would have been lying so instead I said. “Sure, that sounds like fun.”
As I was trying to convince myself that maybe this would be the perfect exercise for me she had to ask, “Do you have a yoga mat and outfit?”
“Can't I just wear my sweats and use a beach towel?” I asked. “I already own those.”
“You know, maybe you're right. You should see if you like yoga first before you buy the outfit and mat.”
I had to smile. This tactful remark was coming from a friend who knew the chances of me liking a form of exercise was pretty slim. But she kept trying with me and I loved her for that.
On the first day of our class we filed down the stairs to the basement of a church. I was amazed at just how many people were in the class.
Our instructor stood in the center of our group and introduced himself. Now I know this sounds mean but I did give him the once over. I was checking to see if he had any unsightly fat hanging anywhere on him. As I've already explained, I’m not big on exercise so I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't take instruction from anyone who didn't have a body shape I was looking for. If they do this professionally and have swinging arm fat or a saggy butt why would I want to waste my time taking body sculpting tips from them?
Personally I think I'm just looking for any excuse not to go to a class but he looked fine, so I claimed my spot on the floor and stretched out my beach towel.
He started explaining what we were going to be doing in a very slow calm voice. Soft music was playing in the background. I began to wonder if this was actually going to be fun. Then he turned down the lights and I just knew this was the type of exercise program I'd been searching for all my adult like.
He calmly explained each position he wanted us in, then began wandering around the room.
“Now close your eyes and clear your mind.” he instructed.
I don't know about anyone else but whenever I've heard the expression clear-your-mind I immediately begin to list all the things that happened to be in my mind at that particular time. Then I began to wonder just how many people can actually clear their mind when someone asks them to. So, of course, as I'm pondering these deep thoughts I'd missed the explanation of the position he wanted us to be in.
I opened my eyes to peek at the person next to me to see what they were doing.
His calm voice happened to be standing right over me, “Your eyes should be closed.” he stated.
“Oh, sorry.” I closed my eyes and lay there wondering just how stupid I looked laying there doing nothing.
“Keep your mind clear.” he said again.
“Oh great!” I thought as the lists popped up in my head again. This time listing all the times I'd looked stupid in public places. The list was so long that sweat began popping out on my forehead. Once again I hadn’t heard his last instruction but I was afraid to peek.
The more I worried about looking stupid just laying there the heavier I perspired.
That's when I realized that many instructors have stated that the more you sweat the better the workout is.

So as I laid in the dark mopping my upper lip with the sleeve of my shirt I couldn't help but wonder if maybe yoga was the perfect workout for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment