Saturday, February 27, 2016

WE'RE STARVING

It had been a long week and I had just scrubbed and put away the last pan from dinner when my son Alex came out into the kitchen and began opening cabinets.
“Are you going grocery shopping anytime soon?” he asked as he closed one cabinet and opened another.
“Maybe tomorrow.” I said as I headed for the living room to finally kick off my shoes and lay down on the couch.
“There's nothing to eat in here.” He complained as I heard the microwave start up.
“There's leftover chicken and rice from dinner.” I called as I grabbed the television remote and began scrolling though the listings to see what mind numbing, non-thought provoking show I was going to pretend to watch while I closed my eyes for a few minutes.
“I just ate that for dinner.” he said. “I'm looking for something else.”
“So make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.” I suggested.
“We're out of bread.”
“Make it with waffles.” I called. “You like that.”
“Maybe later.” The microwave beeped and I heard him open the door.
“So what did you make.” I asked.
“I found a frozen chicken taquito in the back of the freezer.” He walked into the living room holding his plate as he took a bite of his snack. “This doesn't taste right.” he complained. “How long have this been in the freezer?”
“Honestly, I don't even remember buying them.” I admitted. “Maybe your Dad picked them up on one of his shopping trips.”
Alex dropped his snack back on his plate. “So this could be months old?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Maybe.”
I'm not eating this then.” He looked at me with sad eyes. “So, we're back to nothing to eat in this house.”
“Do I have to remind you that we just finished dinner about ten minutes ago?” I wasn't feeling sorry for him no matter how pathetic he tried to look.
“That was First Dinner.” He said. “You know we always have Second Dinner right after you clean the kitchen.”
Just then Steven walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. “Are you going grocery shopping soon?” he asked.
“Are you kidding me!” I cried.
Steven looked confused. “What?” He looked at Alex for help. “I was just in the kitchen and there's nothing to eat.”
“WE JUST ATE DINNER!” I reminded them.
“And it was good.” Steven assured me. “But now it's time for snacks and there's nothing to eat.”
“There's leftover chicken and rice.” I said. “Try heating that up.”
Steven looked at Alex again. Alex shrugged his shoulders. “We just ate that.” Steven said. “We want something else now.”
“I tried telling her that.” Alex said to him. “She doesn't seem to get it.”
“Oh I get it.” I said as I adjusted the pillow under my head and looked back at the television. “You two are trying to guilt me into going grocery shopping tonight and I'm not doing it. There's plenty to eat out there. Go find something.”

The two of them turned around and headed back into the kitchen. I smiled as I drifted off to sleep with the sound of cabinet doors opening and closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment