Friday, March 8, 2019

TICK TOCK



“Time to change the clocks!” I sang as I walked into the living room. “Tick, tick, tick, tick tock!” I'd just finished cleaning the kitchen from dinner and could see my son Alex was laying on the couch, looking out the window. I went over to him and gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head. “Now you sing!”
Alex slowly shook his head. “Nope, not going to happen.”
“Oh, come on! It's an echo song.” I started to sing again. “Spring ahead, Fall back.”
Alex started to laugh. “Where did you learn that song?”
“In music class with my preschooler's.” I went over to the table where a small clock was sitting. I picked it up and turned it around so I could remove the back. “I should probably change the battery at the same time.” I pulled the battery out and went to the kitchen to get a new one from the drawer. Coming back to the living room, with my new battery, Alex sat up from the couch. “Aren't you changing the clocks a little early? I thought we changed them on Saturday night?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “I like to get a head start on these things.” I turned the hands an hour ahead. “Besides the television cable box clock will change on it's own so I'll be able to see the real time for the next day.”
Alex looked confused. “It's not like we have a lot of clocks.”
“Well, actually I'm just really anxious to get this whole Spring thing going and I thought moving some of the clocks ahead early would make me feel better.” I set the clock down and looked over at the cable box. “See. It's already working!” I pointed out the window as the sun was setting. “It's 5:50 now but Sunday night it will be closer to 7 when the sun sets!” I looked over at him and smiled. “Doesn't that just make your day!”
Alex laughed. “I don't know if I'd say it made my day but, I get why you're excited.”
“Just think, it a few short weeks we'll be sitting on the back porch watching the hummingbirds chase each other away from the feeders!”
Alex laughed. “I do kind of miss them.”
I looked out the front window at all the bare branches on the trees. “Pretty soon it will be nothing but green when you look outside! Our chipmunks will be scurrying around the bird feeders, dragonflies will be zipping across the lawn!” I sighed and closed my eyes as I pictured the scene I'd just created.
I opened my eyes and Alex was standing next to me looking out the window. I gave him a little nudge with my arm. “Doesn't that sound wonderful?”
We watched as a few stray leaves blew across the lawn. “It does.” he sighed. “But you know they're calling for snow next weekend?”
“I hate you.” I whispered under my breath.
Alex laughed. “Just trying to keep you in reality.” he patted me on the shoulder as he went to his room. “It's still only March!” he called.

No comments:

Post a Comment