Friday, March 30, 2018

BEACH HOUSE



“Well, I've always wanted to own a beach house.” I sighed as I swept another pile of sand from the living room floor. “I just thought when I did, it would be closer to the beach.”
“Hey, you haven't slipped once this winter! Have you?” Steven handed me the dust pan. “If I didn't sand the steps and sidewalk as much as I did you would have been skating to your car every morning.”
“I know.” I carried the filled dust pan over to the trash but before I dumped it out I held it out for Steven to see. “Oh look, I even got a few pine needles from the Christmas tree!”
Steven had to laugh. “I've got to say that for a fake Christmas tree that thing looses more needles than a real one!”
I took the broom and dust pan into our bedroom. “I can't believe there's sand in here too!” I began sweeping. “Everyone takes there shoes off at the front door, so how's it getting all the way in here? It's driving me nuts!” I'd already swept a little pile into the middle of the floor.
Steven shrugged his shoulders. “I have no idea.”
“Can you please sweep the steps and sidewalk today so we can stop dragging the sand in?” I asked as I took the filled dust pan into the kitchen to throw away.
Steven looked out the window. “There's still snow on the ground. Do you want to take that chance ?”
I looked over at him, not feeling very amused. “Yes, I'm willing to take that chance. I'm tried of walking around barefoot and feeling sand under my feet!”
“Hey,” Steven started to laugh. “Aren't you the one who said you can't wait for the time of year when you can feel the sand between your toes?”
“Not in the house!” I handed him the broom.
Steven shook his head. “I don't need the broom.”
“Oh, come on!” I cried. “Please do the walks for me!”
“I am.” He went to the closet and took out his jacket. “I'm just not using the broom. That takes too long.”
I followed him to the front door, careful not to step outside on the sandy steps. “How are you going to get rid of the sand?”
I peeked around the door jam and watched as he pulled up the garage door, went inside and came out with the leaf blower. “It'll only take a minute using this.”
I watched as he blew the sand off the driveway and sidewalk. He stopped and smiled at me. “See, only seconds!”
I sighed. “That's just great...I spent the last twenty minutes just doing the living room and our bedroom! I still have the rest of the house to sweep!”
Our son, Alex came into the room. “What are you two up to?”
“Sand removal!” Steven called from the front steps. “I'm doing the outside and your Mom's taking care of inside.”
I looked over at Alex. “Yeah, it's been real fair.” I pointed to Steven. “He's done in a minute...” I held up my broom. “and I'm working on mine for the next hour!”
Steven smiled as he held up the leaf blower. “Let me inside and I could have it done in no time!”
When I hesitated, Alex looked over at me. “We're you just thinking about it?” he started to laugh.
I shrugged my shoulders. “I have to admit, for a second, I was.”

1 comment:

  1. I would consider it too! I love how this whole scene centers around a battle against sand :-)

    ReplyDelete