Friday, January 6, 2017

READING TO WEIGHT LOSS

I'd gathered up all my exercise books that I'd been collecting for years, grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and settled in for some reading.
Steven walked by and saw the stack of books beside me. “Did you just buy all those books?”
I smiled “Nope!” I took a quick sip from my glass of eggnog. “I've had some of these books for years. I'm just trying to decide which diet I want to follow this year.” I placed my glass on the coffee table and settled back to reading.
“Well, eggnog and exercise books do seem to go together.” he laughed as sat down next to me and picked up one of the books.
“Hey, I'm not starting this new plan until after all the holiday treats are out of here.” I turned the page on the book I was scanning called “Exercise Ball”. “I think this might be the winner this year.” I showed him the page where the girl was sitting on the ball doing a shoulder press with hand weights. “See? This is perfect! I already own the ball and the yoga mat and I even have the hand weights!” I stopped for a moment. “Now I just have to remember where I put those hand weights.”
“I know where they are.” Steven said shaking his head.
“Oh great, where?”
“For some reason they're under my side of the bed!” He looked over at me. “I've bumped my toe on them a couple of times getting into bed.”
“Oh, sorry about that.”
“How'd they get on my side of the bed?”
“Well, they started out on my side, but every time I went to hide another Christmas present under there I must have been pushing the weights over to your side.”
Steven just shook his head as he turned the page on the book he was looking through. “I can't believe they have a book on how to meditate your way to weight loss.” He pointed to a page.
I glanced over at the page where a woman was sitting cross-legged on the beach, eyes closed and hands pressed together at heart level. “I tried that one last year.” I shook my head. “Obviously meditation and I don't work well together.” I reached for my glass of eggnog and took another sip. “I guess it was silly to think I could just picture losing the weight and it would happen.” I shrugged my shoulders. “But it was worth a shot, huh?”
Steven closed the book and looked over at mine. “Well, at least this one has you moving.” he agreed.
“Hey! I walk two miles every day!” I corrected him.
“Every day?” he countered.
“Well, every day that the weather is nice enough.”
“Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be great.” Steven said as he got up from the couch.
“Oh, are you going in the kitchen?” I asked.
“I could. What do you want?”
“Is there any more of the rocky road candy left?” I asked as I went back to thumbing though my book. My question was met with silence. When I looked up, Steven just staring at me.

“I told you I wasn't starting any of this until all the goodies were out of the house!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment