Friday, March 16, 2018

DAFFODIL DELIGHT



We were having our third Nor'easter in less then two weeks. My husband Steven and I were outside shoveling and clearing off our cars when I noticed a little burst of yellow sticking out of the snow.
“Oh, no!” I called as I dropped my shovel and ran over to what I knew was a daffodil. I leaned down to brush off the heavy snow hoping the weight hadn't snapped it's stem. “I think it's okay!” I called as I checked the stem and could see it was bent but hadn't snapped.
“That's great.” Steven called as he was pushing snow off my car with a broom. “I was really worried about the flowers.” he said in a deadpan voice. He grunted with the effort it took to get the snow off the roof of the car.
I began wandering around the front yard looking to dig out any other flowers that were in distress. “I hope they've all made it.”
“I hope I don't throw my back out trying to clear off these cars.” Steven called back.
“I'll be there to help you in a minute.” I called back. I saw some green leaves sticking out of the snow and began clearing it away, hoping not to find the flowers smashed to the ground. This particular bunch hadn't bloomed yet and it was just a hint of yellow popping out from the green.
“This bed seems to be fine!” I called back.
“Once again...thrilled!” Steven called back in his deadpan voice.
I'd made my way to the south side of the house and could see the flower bed there hadn't fared as well. “Oh man...” I got down on my knees and saw that a few of the flowers stems had been snapped. There was nothing else I could do but pick them. Looking at the two bright yellow blooms against the white of the snow made me smile. There was something about daffodils in the snow that just made me happy. Spring was only days away and even though I was shoveling snow I was now holding proof that warmer days were just around the corner.
Walking back around the side of the house I went over to Steven in the driveway and handed him the two flowers. “Thanks for clearing off my car.” I said as I picked up my shovel and began scooping the snow off the sidewalk.
Steven stood holding the flowers and looking at me. “Thanks.” he said leaning the broom against the car.
“Why don't you go inside and put them in water and I'll finish up the sidewalk.” I just had a few more feet to finish and we'd both be done.
When I got inside I stomped my boots to knock off the snow and hung my coat on the door knob of the closet to dry. Coming into the kitchen, Steven had put the daffodils in a small vase and had them sitting in the middle of the dining room table. He'd made me a cup of tea and handed me the warm mug. “Hopefully that's the last snow of the season!” he said as he sat down at the table across from me.
“Right now I don't care if it snows again.” I gently touched one of the petals that was still cold from the snow. “Because this means spring is already here! That's all that matters to me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment