Friday, March 2, 2018

BLOWING IN THE WIND



I'd decided to do some Spring shopping on my computer, when Steven walked into the room.
“What are you up to today?” he asked.
“I'm glad you asked!” I turned my computer screen around for him to see. “What do you think of these for our back porch?” I'd picked out a beautiful set of wind chimes and wanted Steven to see them before I downloaded them into my cart.
Steven began shaking his head. “Nope, no way...not going to happen.”
“No?” I started to laugh. “Why don't you tell me how you really feel?”
He sat down next to me on the couch. “I'm serious. The neighbors will hate us.”
“Oh come on!” I turned the screen back to facing me. “People use them for meditation! Depending on the tone you get, it can be really soothing.”
“Not for me.” He got up and went into the kitchen. “They're like fingernails on a chalk board.” he called over his shoulders.
I wasn't ready to be swayed. I started searching for wind chime videos I could play for him. The first one I came to was a higher pitched chime. He came back into the living room and handed me a bottle of water then took a sip from his. “Thanks.” I placed my bottle on the coffee table then turned up the sound. A soft tinkling began to play. “Isn't that pretty?”
Our son Alex walked into the room. “What's that sound?”
“Your Mom wants to get wind chimes for the back porch.” Steven looked over at Alex and cringed as my chimes kept playing.
“It sounds like someones searching for something in the silverware drawer.” Alex said cringing at the sound too.
“It does not!” I cried.
Steven tilted his head and listened for a moment. “You're right.” he looked over at Alex. “That's exactly what it sounds like.”
“You two are unbelievable.” I began searching for another video. I found one that had long pipes that would give a deeper sound and hit play. As the deep tones filled the room I could see neither of my guys were impressed.
“Sounds like someone's banging two pipes together.” Steven said as Alex nodded in agreement.
“Oh, come on!” I cried. “To me it sounds a little like the Tibetan singing bowls.”
“The what?” Alex looked confused.
I went to YouTube, pulled up a video and hit play. The sound of the bowls being struck by the mallet filled the room. “Doesn't that just make you feel like taking a deep breath and relaxing?” I took and deep breath, slowly exhaling and really could feel myself feeling calmer. “See?” I smiled at them.
Steven shook his head. “That would drive me nuts.”
Alex nodded his head in agreement. “Me too! I like silence when I'm trying to relax.”
“Okay fine.” I closed the lid on my laptop and picked up my phone. “But you can't stop me from playing the YouTube videos of them when I'm out on the porch.”
Steven shrugged his shoulders. “That seems fair.”
Alex nodded in agreement. “Hey, the next nice day I'll even sit out there with you.”
“You will?” I thought maybe I'd finally turned him to my way of thinking.
“Sure!” Alex started to laugh. “As long as you use your ear buds!”
Even I had to laugh at that one.

2 comments:

  1. I find them extremely relaxing.....and I have sevetal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I just I'll just enjoy them at other peoples houses😂

    ReplyDelete