Friday, December 23, 2016

RE-GIFTING RULES

My husband Steven and I were headed out the door, for another holiday get-together. “Are we bringing anything?” he asked as we put on our coats.
I walked over to the wine rack and pulled out a bottle that already had a ribbon attached to it.
“This is perfect.” I said.
Steven stopped in front of the door. “Are you re-gifting?”
“It's a bottle of wine.” I answered.
“But we got that as a Christmas gift.” he argued. “It still has the original bow on it.”
“Food and wine don't count in re-gifting.”
“Since when?”
“This is their favorite wine.” I said. “Why should I go to the store and buy a bottle of this wine when I have a bottle right here and it already has the bow on it?”
“Because you didn't buy it.” he argued. “You took it out of our wine rack.”
“That's where my re-gifting rules come in.”
Steven took a deep breath. “This should be good.”
I tried to ignore his sarcastic tone. “You can't re-gift homemade food or wine, but anything store bought isn't considered re-gifting.” I explained. “It's more like sharing when you bring it to someone else's house.”
“So if someone made me a scarf I couldn't re-gift, but it would be okay if the scarf was store bought?”
“I didn't say that rule applies to outerwear.” I corrected. “I said it was find with food and wine.”
“So what do you do with the clothing gifts that you get and you don't like?”
“Those have to be worn at least once in front of the giver. Then you can put it in the back of your closet, where it will stay for a few years, before you give it to Goodwill.”
Steven started to laugh. “What about things for the house?” he asked.
“Out on display until the giver sees it, then up in the attic until the next garage sale.”
“What about gift certificates?”
“Oh come on, Steven! What's not to like about a gift certificate?”
“So you mean to tell me you've only re-gifted food and wine?”
“I'm telling you those are the only two things you can re-gift. And those can only go to someone who loves that type of wine or food.”
Steven looked at the bottle of wine tucked under my arm. “Do you make these rules up as you go?” he asked.

“Yes, but only when we're late for a party and I forgot to get them a hostess gift.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment