Friday, September 2, 2016

PSYCHIC WONDER

 I was on the phone with my sister Donna, telling her about the psychic reading I'd had at a friend's house party. “There were eight of us and we each got twenty minutes for a reading.” I explained.
“What did you think?”
“She was amazing!” I gushed. “She was telling people about their careers and what was going on with their kids!”
“What did she have to say to you?”
“She told me Dad was standing by me.” I could feel my eyes begin to well up just thinking about it. “That he wouldn't leave until I knew it was him.”
“How did she know it was Dad?” she asked.
“Well, that's the funny part.” I was looking out my front window, watching the dragonflies dart about. “First, she asked if I knew someone with a hurt arm.”
“That's Dad!” Donna cried. Our Dad had lost an arm in a motorcycle accident when he was a young man.
“I know that now, but I wasn't thinking of him.” I admitted.
“How could you not know it was Dad?”
“I don't know, I just didn't.”
“So how did you figure it out?”
“Well, she said that when a client didn't recognize who she's talking about she usually moved on to something else.” I sat down on the couch, grabbed a pillow and tucked it behind my back. “But she said that this particular person wouldn't leave. He was insisting on coming through. So then she said there was a hunting dog next to him, and that he was wearing a blue shirt.”
“Oh, you had to know it was Dad then.” She cried.
“Nope...” I had to laugh. “I still didn't know it was him.”
“Are you kidding? Dad always wore a blue shirt and he had hunting dogs before he met Mom.” Now she was laughing too.
“I'm telling you it just wasn't clicking.” I put my feet up on the coffee table.
“So what finally made you realize she was talking about Dad?”
“This is the best part!” I stopped talking when I heard someone in the kitchen. I looked at my watch to see if someone was looking for dinner but it was only 4:30, so I went back to my conversation. “Well...she was quiet for a second then she finally said, he's yelling Albie!”
Now both my sister and I were laughing. “I swear I can almost see Dad shaking his head, wondering why I'm so thick that he finally just yells his name.” I was laughing so hard I had to wipe a tear from the corner of my eye.
Just then my husband Steven came around the corner and interrupted our conversation, “You went to a psychic?” he asked, a look of concern on his face.
“Hold on a minute.” I said to my sister. Then looked at Steven as he stood there holding a sandwich. “I thought I told you about this.”
Steven shook his head. “I knew you went to the party, but I don't remember you saying anything about a psychic being there.”
“Humm. I guess I forgot to mention that.”
Steven didn't look convinced. “You don't really believe in that stuff do you?”
I shrugged my shoulders, “It was a fun thing to do at a party, Steven.” Then I shook my head and tried to sound dismissive, “No one was there was taking it seriously.”
Steven nodded. “Okay, as long as you know it's not real.” he left to go back to his office.
“Hey, I'm back.” I said to my sister.
“I just heard what you said. No one at the party was taking it seriously?” she asked.

I waited a moment making sure Steven had time to get to his office but I still lowered my voice to a whisper making sure he couldn't overhear me, “Are you kidding me?” I looked over, double checking to make sure he wasn't about to pop his head the corner and overhear me again. “We were all taking it seriously!” I cried. “I'm telling you she was amazing!”

No comments:

Post a Comment