Saturday, April 9, 2016

WHAT'S THAT SAY?

“Has anyone seen my blue reading glasses?” I called to anyone in the house that was in earshot.
No answer.
“Come on!” I cried. “I can't make dinner until I find them!”
That got them all running.
“Where did you see them last?” Steven asked as he magically appeared in the kitchen next to me.
“In this drawer where I always keep them.” I said pointing to the junk drawer next to the stove.
“Do you want me to get you a pair from your desk?” Alex asked.
“The purple ones stay at my desk.” I said. “I'm looking for the blue kitchen glasses.”
“What about the pair you keep in your purse?” Steven was ready to go find my purse.
“No. Those are the black and white one's they stay in my purse.” I insisted. “I need the blue kitchen ones to make dinner.”
Steven and Alex looked at one another.
“Are they different prescriptions?” Steven asked.
“No.” I answered.
“So what's the difference?” Alex asked.
Now it was my turn to look exasperated. “I have different color glasses for different places in the house.” I explained. “This way if one of them gets misplaced I know where they came from and I can return them and not have to go through this!” I cried sweeping my hand in front of the drawer that didn't have my glasses in them anymore.
“So why can't you use a different pair for now and we'll look for your blue ones after dinner?” Steven suggested.
“Oh...I'm not falling for that one.” I said as I slowly closed the drawer and looked at my now famished looking family. “If I do that no one will help me look for them after dinner. But if I say I can't cook without them I'll have plenty of help finding them.” I had to smile as I looked at their begrudgingly agreeable faces.
“She's got a point.” Steven said as he looked at Alex. “You go look in the living room and I'll go check in our bedroom.”
The two of them set off in search of my glasses. I had to smile at the power that withholding food seemed to have on them.
“They're not in here!” Alex called from the living room.
“I'm coming up empty in here, too!” Steven called. “You go check her office and I'll go look in the car.”
I watched as the two of them headed in different directions.
That's when I saw my purse sitting on the dining room chair. I thought I could at least help in the search so I began unloading my bag on the dining room table.
Steven and Alex came into the room as I was finishing up the search.
“Did you find them?” Steven asked.
I held up four pairs of glasses I'd found at the bottom of my purse, including the blue ones. “I guess I haven't been doing such a great job at keeping track of where they're suppose to stay.” I said as I shrugged my shoulders and began throwing my stuff back in my bag.
“Are you making dinner now?” Steven asked.

I put my blue reading glasses on and picked up the take out menu for our favorite pizza place. “I am.” I said as I picked up the phone to place our order.

No comments:

Post a Comment