Friday, April 29, 2016

ROCK COLLECTOR

My husband, Steven and I were picking up some friends to go out to dinner. We pulled into their driveway and they got into the back seat. As we drove out of the neighborhood Steven made a sharp turn and we heard something roll out from under my front seat.
“Why do you have a big rock back here?” my friend said.
“Oh, I must have forgotten to take that out.” I explained. “I'm lining the path to my back shed with interesting rocks I find.”
“Oh.” Our dinner couple didn't sound convinced.
“Just kick it back under my seat if it gets in your way.” I said.
We continued on to the restaurant and had a wonderful evening. After we dropped them back at their house and Steven and I were headed home, it seemed Steven had waited until we were alone before he asked this question.
“You collect rocks?” Steven asked.
“Sure.” I said. “I thought you knew that?”
“Why would I know that?” he asked.
“Haven't you noticed the rocks lining the path to the back shed?” I asked. “Where do you think they're coming from?”
“I didn't see any rocks lining the path.” he said.
“Well, I've just started. There's only about twelve rocks right now so maybe you might have missed it.”
Steven took a sharp turn and we could hear the rock rolling in the back. “That one makes thirteen so maybe you'll notice it now.”
“Why can't you collect normal things like other people?” Steven asked with a laugh.
“What are you talking about. People collect rocks.” I said.
“People collect sea shells or sea glass.” he said. “I don't know anyone else but you that collects rocks.”
“I used to collect those but once you fill a container with them, what good are they?” I said. “Rocks, on the other hand can decorate a path in your back yard!”
Steven just shook his head. “Where are you finding these rocks?” he asked.
“All over.” I said. “I found a couple of good ones in our neighborhood. Someone must have cleaned up their back yard and was throwing them away. Lucky for me I got to them before the road crew could come by and collect them!”
“Lucky.” Steven said but he didn't sound impressed.
“I got a good one from your brother's house.” I said. “When we went over for Easter. He had a huge pile next to his garage. He'd dug them up in his yard when he was clearing a space for his garden.”
“Didn't he say he was planning on using them for a wall?”
“Well, yeah. But I didn't know that until I'd already picked a really good one for our path.”
“You stole a rock from my brother's house?” Steven didn't sound amused.
“I didn't steal it!” I said. “I asked him if I could have it.” I explained. “That's when he told me about the wall he was building but when I explained the path I was making he let me have it.”

“I'll ask again.” Steven said as he shook his head. “Why is it you can't collect normal things?”

No comments:

Post a Comment