Sunday, May 3, 2015

FLOWER BOXES DONE

I'd run to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and as I pulled in the driveway my husband Steven opened the front door. “Do you need help carrying in the bags?” he asked.
“I could use a little help.” I admitted as I went around to the back of the car and popped the hatch. “I got a little carried away.”
“Hey that's what the pantry is for.” he said as he walked down the driveway to meet me at the car. Steven loved a fully stocked pantry and in some ways I'm a bit of a disappointment to him in that regard. I'm more of a daily-run-to-the-store kind of gal and at times it drives him crazy.
“I'm pretty sure there isn't anything back here that can go in the pantry.” I said handing him a flat of geraniums. I watched as a few of the tiny red petals got caught in the breeze and floated to the ground. “Aren't they beautiful!” I said as I reached in the back and pulled out the second flat of geraniums in the same beautiful shade of vivid red.
“Weren’t you going to the grocery store?” he asked as he carried the flat up to the front porch.
“I did.” holding the flat in one hand I reached in the front seat and grabbed the small grocery bag. “I just needed hot dog rolls, chips and some mustard for dinner tonight.” I called to him. “It's so beautiful out I thought we could eat out on the back porch.”
“Sounds good.” he placed the flat down and turned around looking confused. “Wait, did you just say you bought mustard?”
“Yeah, for the hot dogs.” I handed him the bag.
“Did you check the pantry first?” he asked. “I was sure we had a few extra mustard’s down there.”
“Whoops, I forgot.” I started to place the small pots of flowers into our window boxes. “Can you get the flat of vinca in the back of the car for me?” I started moving the pots around leaving room for the vinca vines to go.
“You know if you checked the pantry first you wouldn't have to run to the store so often.” Steven handed me the flat of vinca.
“I know.” I started placing the pots in between the geraniums. “Why don't you take that mustard down to the pantry, bring one of the pantry mustard’s upstairs to the kitchen and then we can both be happy.” I suggested.
“That's not how a pantry is suppose to work.”
“Well, it seems to be working that way for me.” I smiled but then looked at Steven shaking his head at me. “Don't worry, some day I'll get used to going down there first. I promise.” I added.
“I hope so.” Steven said taking the mustard out of the bag ready to head into the house and down to the pantry to fix my mistake.
“Wait!” I called as I placed the last pot in the window box then stepped back to take it all in. “Isn't it beautiful!” I cried.
Steven stepped back with me and smiled as I made a grand sweeping motion with my arms like I was Vanna White presenting him with a new car.
“It looks nice.” he said. “But aren't you suppose to wait until after Mother's Day to plant?” he asked.
I shrugged my shoulder. “Not when you’ve had a winter like we just had.” I declared. “Then the rule is, first warm day and everyone is at the garden center!” I said.
“Was it busy?”
“You had to see the lines, it was ridiculous.” I smiled. “By the time I got out of there and to the store I'm lucky I remembered we needed mustard for the hot dogs tonight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment