Monday, May 18, 2015

Emoji Love

Alex comes walking out of his room with his phone in his hand, “What's this suppose to mean?” he asks as he holds out his phone to me.
I look at the message I'd just sent him. It was a picture of a tiny cow's head and a bell next to it. “The bell is for calling you for dinner.” I said as I handed him back his phone. “The cow's head is letting you know what we're having.” I held up the platter of hamburgers for him.
“Why not just call me?” he asked. “I'm right in the next room.” He asked as he took the platter and headed for the table.
“Because this way is more fun.” I said as I came over with a bowl of salad and put it on the table next to the burgers. “Besides if I'd called out to you there's a good chance you'd pretend you're deaf and I'd have to stop cooking and go knock on your door.”
By now Steven was coming upstairs. “Does this mean dinner's ready?” He asked holding out his phone.
Alex looked over at Steven. “Did you get the cow's head and bell too?” he asked.
Steven handed him his phone, “No I got the musical notes and and knife and fork.”
Alex looked back at me, “Why didn't you send me that one?” he asked. “At least that one would have been easier to figure out.” he said.
“I like to mix it up a bit.” I said as I brought over the salad dressing. “It keeps it fresh.”
“Did anyone call Max, yet?” Steven asked as he sat down.
“I sent him a message.” I answered. “He got the musical notes, a cow's head and a tomato.”
Just then my phone dinged. “I bet that's Max.” I said picking it up.
“Where is he?” Alex asked.
“In his room.” I began checking my messages. “He just sent me back the hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil monkeys.” I looked over at Steven and Alex. “Okay I think he has me on that one? What do you think that means?”
Alex looked over at Steven and shrugged his shoulders. “I think it just means he likes monkeys.”
“Maybe he'd just rather be called for dinner instead of having to guess your code.” Steven suggested.
“Oh, come on this is fun>” I began clicking away looking for other emoji's that would have him coming to the table. “Perfect!” I said clicking send. “That should get him in here.”
I sat down at the table and began to serve myself some salad.
That's when we all heard Max's door open.
Steven and Alex look at me. “I told you that one would work.” I said.
Max came into the dining room and looked at the table. “He, you sent a burger, fries, beer and an ice cream cone!”
“I was close.” I said as I passed him the burger platter. “They don't have a salad bowl or a picture for ice water.”
Max sat down and took a burger off the platter. “Did you at least buy ice cream?” he asked.

I smiled as I handed him the bowl of salad. “It's in the freezer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment