Sunday, May 3, 2015

BACK TO SCHOOL?

My recently graduated son Alex and I were sitting on the back porch watching the chipmunks and squirrels scurry around in the back woods collecting anything and everything they could find to make it an easy winter for themselves.
“I have to say, I know how they feel.” I said as I pointed to one very busy chipmunk running back and forth across the yard seeming to get nothing done but making very good time doing it. “For the last twenty years I've spent every fall running around getting someone ready for another school year.” I sighed. “This fall just didn't feel the same without someone going back to school.”
“Yeah, it's nice isn't it?” Alex asked as he leaned back in his chair to get some sun on his face.
“I don't know, I kind of missed all that running around this year.” I watched as a squirrel slowly made his way down a tree, grab an acorn off the ground, slowly look around before stuffing it into his mouth and frantically running back up the tree as if someone were right behind him ready to take it away. “Those days of feeling like that squirrel where we'd be running from department stores to grocery stores to hardware stores, then over to the office supply store trying to get you ready.” I smiled at him as he looked over at me. “And when I say 'we' you know I really mean 'me'. Because there was no way you were going to get supplies, pack, and make sure everything was just right for your first day of school no matter where you were going.”
Alex smiled. “Thanks, Mom.”
“I'm not looking for thanks.” I quickly added. “I'm just saying I can relate to those guys out there.” I waved my hand in the general direction of the woods. “Once you feel the temperature start to drop there's some strange need that comes over you to get busy doing... I don't know...” I shrugged my shoulders,”Stuff.”
“So now that you're not getting me ready for school, what stuff do you feel you need to do?”
“I'm glad you asked.” I smiled as I looked over at him. “I'm thinking of taking a class, maybe something on-line that I can take whenever I'm ready to start.”
Alex sat up. “Really?”
“I don't know, I've been looking at a few on-line colleges and there's one or two classes that seem interesting.” I took a sip of my tea, “It just seems like the right time for me to start taking them.”
“I think that's a great idea.” Alex said.
“Really?” I said. “Because it's been years since I've taken a class and these classes can be pretty intense. I might need a little extra time to study.”
“Well, sure. Take all the time you need.”
I felt a sigh of relief come out of me. “I'm glad you’re being so understanding, because between work and studying I might need some help around the house making dinners, cleaning bathrooms, going grocery shopping you know, stuff.”
“Sure.” Alex said. “Just let me know what you need.”
“Wow.” I had to smile. “Thanks.”
“Hey, I'm happy for you.” Alex swatted a mosquito off his arm. “I'm just glad I'm not the one going back to school this year!”
“Was it really that terrible?” I asked looking over at him. “You're not going to miss anything about school?”

Alex smiled. “I don't know.” he said. “Why don't you let me know how you feel around Thanksgiving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment