Friday, June 8, 2018

CHIPMUNK CHATTER



“Look how cute they are!” I was sitting on our back porch with my son, Alex as we watched two chipmunks tumble around in a patch of clover.
“You can hear them squeaking at each other.” Alex laughed. One of the chipmunks had broken free from the tumble and raced towards the woods, the other followed closely behind.
“I wonder if they're playing or really mad at each other?” I could see them still chasing each other in the underbrush of the woods.
“They didn't look like they were playing to me.” Alex said as we turned our attention to a cardinal and blue jay trying to get to the feeder at the same time.
“I say the bluejay wins this one.” I called but another cardinal swooped down and chased the bluejay into the oak tree on the other side of the yard. “Okay, I guess I was wrong on that one.”
Alex pointed to my bird house as a small bird flew out of it. “What's that?” Alex asked.
“It's a black capped chickadee!” I was feeling almost gleeful. “They've been working on the nest for a few days now!” We saw another one fly into the birdhouse carrying more nesting supplies. “I can't wait for the babies to arrive!”
Alex pointed to the small bunny hopping around around the clover patch nibbling on a clover flowers. “He doesn't seem to mind that were sitting right here, three feet away from him.”
“I know! I love it!”
A hummingbird zipped by us headed for the feeder. “I'm suppose to be doing errands right now, but I don't want to leave our yard.”
The chipmunks came running out of the woods, their cheeks stuffed with food. One ran right past us and into the hole that was next to our deck while the other one ran straight for the enclosure where we kept our garbage pails. “Well, we know one of them picked a really stinky spot for their home.”
Alex shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe he's hoping something will fall out of the garbage pails and he won't have to travel too far to eat.”
“Yuck.” I shuttered at the thought.
We'd turned our attention back to the feeder where a red headed woodpecker was taking advantage of the fact that the cardinals had chased away the bluejay. “Isn't he beautiful! I don't see him at the feeder very often, he's usually picking the bugs from the trees.”
Alex thought for a moment. “I don't think I've ever seen him at the feeder before.”
“Well, that's because I spend more time out here than you do.” I looked at my watch. “Oh, man. I really should be getting my errands done.” I started to get up but another hummingbird was headed for the feeder. “Maybe just a few more minutes.” I said as I sat back down.
“You're not going to do your errands today, are you?” Alex had to laugh.
“Maybe I'll get them done tomorrow.”
My husband, Steven came out on the porch. “What are you two up to?”
“There's so much going on out here that I just can't talk myself into leaving.” I sighed. “Right now I feel like I could hold my pointer finger up in the air and a butterfly would land on it.”
Alex started to laugh.
“I'm serious!” I cried.
“I know that's what scares me.” Alex got up and gave me a kiss on the top of the head before he went in.
Steven sat down next to me and patted me on the knee. “You know if anyone in this family could get a butterfly to land on their finger it would be you.”
“Aw, thanks.” I pointed to the chipmunks as they chased each other through the clover. “I'm warning you, once you start watching them you won't be able to stop.”

No comments:

Post a Comment