Friday, December 29, 2017

VISION BOARD


I was busy flipping through a magazine and tearing out pages that interested me when Steven walked into the room. “What are you doing?” he asked.
“I'm getting pictures for my vision board.” I ripped a picture of tulips from a page and placed it on the coffee table. “This one's for my trip to Holland this spring.” I crossed my fingers and looked at Steven. “But anything could happen so I thought if I put it on the board it will definitely come true.”
“What's a vision board?”
“I'm glad you asked that! Because I hadn't heard of it either until about 20 minutes ago!” I was flipping the pages and saw a jar of money. “Oh that's definitely going on the board!” As I was ripping the page out I looked over at Steven. “I was on the phone with my girlfriend Anna Marie and she said a friend of ours is doing one. It's where you make a board of things you'd like to see happen in the coming year.”
Steven started to laugh. “So a picture of money is going to have us make more next year.”
“Hey...” I looked over at Steven and shrugged my shoulders. “Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.” I tore out a picture of the beach and held it up for him to see. “Maybe a trip to Cape May will be in our future next summer.” I placed it on the coffee table next to all my other dreams and hopes.
“How big is your board going to be?” Steven looked at the growing pile on the table.
“I figured I'd collect everything that interested me and decide later.” I grabbed the next magazine off the pile and began leafing through it. “Do you want to make one with me?”
Steven laughed and shook his head. “No, I think I'm good, thanks.”
I shrugged my shoulders. “Suit yourself, but I'm getting a good feeling about this upcoming year.” I ripped out the word MEDITATION. “Oh, I can definitely use more of that!”
“So where did this idea come from again?”
“It seems Oprah talked about it years ago when she read the book The Secret. She does one all the time.” I looked up at Steven. “Clearly I live under a rock because it's the first I'm hearing about it.”
I kept flipping through the magazine. “Now I just have to find a typewriter to remind me to write more.” I stopped at a page. “Oh! Yoga!” I began ripping. “I should really get back to doing that!”
“So where are you planning on hanging it?” Steven leafed through the pile I'd already collected.
“I'm thinking about taping it to the inside of our closet door.”
I looked over at Steven and could see he seemed surprised. “Why there?”
“Because I'd see it every morning while I was getting ready for work and it would remind me to think about it during the day.” I smiled at him. “Then I'd see it again at night and I could go to sleep visualizing it for my dreams.”
“So I get to see it while I'm getting dressed too?
“Exactly! That's just a perfect bonus for me!” I collected up my pile to begin sorting through them.
“How's that a bonus for you?” Steven looked confused.
“Well, seeing that you're not doing one for yourself maybe you could look at mine, while your getting ready in the morning, and cheer me on with mine!”
Steven shook his head. “Whatever happened to plain old New Year resolutions?”

“I've never been able to keep those.” I reached for the scissors. “That's why I'm hoping this might do the trick this year!”

No comments:

Post a Comment