Friday, September 29, 2017

WIPER WORRIES


I pulled into our driveway, left the car running and went up to the house. Opening the door I called to my husband, Steven. “My windshield wipers won't go off!”
He came to the front door and looked outside. You could hear the screeching sound the rubber blades made as the scraped across the dry windshield.
“They just came on all by themselves?” Steven looked up at the cloudless blue sky.
“No, I turned them on. I wanted to clean the windshield but now they won't shut off!” I shook my head, looking around the neighborhood to see if anyone was outside. “I've just spent the last twenty minutes driving home with them swishing back and forth! I felt like a crazy old lady who drives around not knowing her blinker is flashing!”
Steven climbed into the driver's seat. “I'm sure no one noticed.” He flicked the wiper switch on and off.
But I wasn't through with my rant. “I might was well have two cats climbing around in the car and a pocket full of hard candy!” I cried.
Steven laughed. “What?”
“People wait until you're stopped at a light then pull up next to you and give the maybe-you-shouldn't-be-driving-if-you're-so-clueless look!” I shook my head and couldn't help but shudder. “I felt like an idiot!”
Steven turned the car off. The wipers immediately stopped. “There. All fixed.”
“That's what you call fixing it?” I pointed to the wipers that were now straight up in the air.
Steven turned the car back on and the wipers started up again only this time at their fastest speed.
“Oh, great.” I sighed.
“Don't worry.” He climbed out of the car. “We'll drop it off at the mechanic's. Let me go grab my keys and I'll follow you.” He left the car door open for me.
“Why do I have to be the one to drive the stupid car?” I cried.
“Seriously?”
I nodded my head. “Completely.”
“Why do you let this stuff bother you so much?” Steven sighed as he climbed back in the car and handed me my purse.
“I don't know.” I shrugged my shoulders. “It just does.”
“Okay, fine. You drive my car and I'll meet you over at the mechanic's.”
“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I smiled as I leaned into the car to give him a quick kiss. Steven just shook his head as he put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.

“I'm right behind you!” I called as I listened to the frantic screeching of the wipers as he drove down the street. “Well, there's one less embarrassing thing I have to do today.” I muttered to myself as I went back to the house to get his keys. That's when I noticed water leaking from my purse. I looked in to see the water bottle I'd tucked in there was missing it's cap. “Clearly this is going to be one of those days.” I sighed.

No comments:

Post a Comment